Bachelor of Arts in History
All degree programs require completion of the Core Curriculum. A complete description of the core and its requirements is available in the Core Curriculum section of the Daemen catalogue. Courses which satisfy a portion or complete a core requirement will have such designation indicated after the course title.
MAJOR: 38 credits
- Select one: 3 credits
- GVT101 Comparative Politics (3) -- CC
- GVT113 Introduction to American Politics -- CR
- GVT121 International Relations (3) -- CC
- HIS105 Introduction to World History I: From Antiquity to 1500 (3) - CC
- HIS106 Introduction to World History II: From 1500 (3) - CC
- HIS220 American History to 1877 (3) - CC
- HIS221 American History from 1877 to the Present (3) - CC
- HIS331 Introduction to Historiography (3) -- WI
- HG442 Thesis Research (2)
- HG443 Research Project (3) - ILIT; RP; WI
- Electives: 15 credits, of which: 6 credits must be at the 300 level or above, AND at least one course must be taken from each of 3 areas: European Hiwstory; Non-Western History; US History. Access the list of the acceptable History and Government electives from the History & Government electives from the History & Government department section of the Daemen catalogue, or from the Program Plans optino on the Registrar's web page.
- REQUIREMENTS OUTSIDE OF THE MAJOR: 21 credits
CFE97 Career Preparation Seminar (0); AND 3 credits in a Career Field Experience (CFE) relevant to the major
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: 18 credits
Consult the guidelines on LAS course selection from the suggested course sequence for the BA, History, accessible from the History & Government department section of the Daemen catalogue, or from the Program Plans option on the Registrar's web page.
3. CORE: 45 credits
- CMP101 English Composition (3) CS; ILIT; WI
- IND101 Sustainable & Critical Relationships (3)
- MTH104 Survey of Statistics (3) -- CT; QL
- Liberal Arts and Sciences including Foreign Language: 24 Credits
- Foreign Language Requirement
Students must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language through the intermediate level. The requirement may be satisfied through the completion of college level coursework or the successful completion of a proficiency examination. A complete description of the requirement is available in the Foreign Language section of the Daemen catalogue.
- Core Electives: 12 credits
4. FREE ELECTIVES: 18 credits
Courses used to fulfill the free electives may have, but are not required to have, a competency. A maximum of 6 credits may be taken in History courses.
TOTAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS = 122 CREDITS
Requirements for History, History & Government and Political Science Programs: Admission, Admission to Upper Division, Graduation are at this link or consult the History & Government department section of the catalogue or the Program Plans option on the Registrar’s web page.
Pursuit Of Minor
It is recommended that students pursue the completion of a minor(s) in another area of study. Consult the Daemen catalogue or the Registrar’s web page for a complete listing of available minors.
Suggested Course Sequence
Access the suggested course sequences for: BA, History, from the History & Government Department web page or the Program Plans site on the Registrar’s web page.