Accounting / Information Systems
DO YOU WANT A PROFESSIONAL DEGREE IN A FIELD THAT IS RECESSION RESISTANT?
ACCOUNTING IS THE DEGREE FOR YOU
The Accounting Department offers two degrees
* B.S. - Accounting
* B.S. - Accounting/M.S. - Professional Accountancy
The Accounting/Professional Accountancy BS/MS degree is for those students wishing to pursue a career in public accounting. It is a registered degree with the State Education Department and meets the 150-hour requirements to sit for the CPA exam. The 120-hour BS in Accounting is for students who seek a career in the accounting field but do not wish to pursue the CPA certification. A 30-credit hour certificate is also available that provides students with the specialized skills necessary to obtain a position in the accounting field and is transferable to both the Accounting/Professional Accountancy and the Accounting degree programs.
Daemen also offers both of the above degrees in an accelerated format which allows students to finish their B.S. in 3 years and the B.S./M.S. in 4 years.
For more information on Accounting careers and salaries, please visit http://www.startheregoplaces.com/why-accounting/
NEW THIS YEAR:
Students can elect to complete a three course sequence in Forensic Accounting during their undergraduate study. Forensic Accounting is the fastest growing area of accounting today! It is a career that combines accounting and private investigation and is both exciting and financially rewarding. For more information on forensic accounting visit http://www.acfe.com
WHY ACCOUNTING @ DAEMEN?
* Students build their resumes as they progress through the program. The department emphasizes the following:
- Real Work Experience. Students are required to do an internship with an outside firm. Most of these internships are paid and the majority lead to full-time positions upon graduation.
- Community Service. Each student is required to take one service learning course to complete their degree at Daemen. Accounting students normally fulfill their service learning commitment by participating in VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Program) or working in the Accounting Lab for Community Organizations.
- Leadership. Students are encouraged to improve their leadership skills by taking advantage of many opportunities afforded by the department. They can serve as an officer of one the Accounting Club, participate in SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise) or take advantage of a number of other opportunities at the College.
- International Experience. It is important in today's global economy that students have some international experience. This can be obtained in a number of ways. First students can participate in short-term or long-term student abroad experiences. The Accounting faculty has accompanied groups of students to Ireland, Mexico, Brazil, Italy and Chile. A student can also become acquainted with students in foreign countries by becoming part of our Internet buddy program. Using tools such as Skype a student can have weekly conversations with students from Brazil, China and other countries that will help these students improve their English language skills.
* All accounting faculty are CPAs with experience in major accounting firms.
* Students with previous college credits can easily transfer to the Accounting program
* Students in the B.S. - Accounting/M.S. Professional Accountancy program can complete their bachelors and masters degree within 5 years. They also carry over academic scholarships to the graduate portion of their program which provides an economic way to complete a masters degree.
* The Accounting programs at Daemen have received specialized accreditation through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), located in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. The following accounting programs have been accredited by the IACBE:
- Bachelor in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Professional Accountancy
Information pertaining to student learning and achievement in the business programs accredited by the IACBE can be obtained by visiting the Accounting/Information Systems website at Daemen College Accounting Department Annual Report 2011-12.docx or by contacting the Accounting Department at (716) 839-8329.
Minors and More
Minors in accounting and digital media. Accounting certificate program. Successful completion of the 150 hour curriculum qualifies students to sit for the New York State CPA exam.
Financial analyst. Company controller. Tax accountant. Auditor and many more.
Recent Graduates’ Jobs
Tax accountant,Lumsden and McCormick,Sodexho;Auditor,Fox & Co;Staff Accountants,Price Waterhouse Coopers, LLP, D’ARATA and Company, Gaines, Metzler, Kriner and Co., LLP, Semanchin & Wetter LLP, Fiddler & Co., Financial Analyst, M & T Bank, Internal Auditor, First Niagara Bank.
Recent Starting Salaries
2011 graduates started in the range of $40,000 to $55,000.
Majors & Programs
Undergraduate Minors & Specializations
That’s the best way to really get a feel for what Daemen is all about! Daemen is located in suburban Amherst, New York just minutes away from the city of Buffalo. To schedule a weekday individual interview and tour the campus, email us firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800.462.7652.