Daemen College is proud to announce the addition of a Direct Entry Master of Science in Athletic Training Program.
Students wishing to pursue a Master of Science degree in Athletic Training have two program options:
3 + 2 year BS/MS in Athletic Training Program
This program is a seamless 5 year construct in which students earn a Bachelor of Science in Health Care Studies and a Master of Science in Athletic Training. The first three years of this program students complete courses to fulfill the Health Care Studies/Health and Fitness Training major and prerequisites for the professional phase of the Athletic Training program. Once accepted into the professional phase of the Athletic Training program, students complete 2 years of study in athletic training professional phase courses plus one summer of courses.
The Bachelor of Science degree in Health Care Studies provides athletic training students with a broad education that encompasses community health and disease prevention, health care systems, fitness training, strength and conditioning, and cardiopulmonary assessment.
2 year MS in Athletic Training Program
This direct entry program is designed for students with an earned baccalaureate degree. The program involves 2 years of study in athletic training courses plus one summer of courses which include Gross Anatomy, Introduction to Emergency Athletic Care, and Current Concepts in Musculoskeletal Fitness Assessment & Training.
Daemen is the only entry-level Masters program in Western New York.
Daemen College houses 5 programs that prepare students to work directly in health care related professions: Physician Assistant (MS), Physical Therapy (DPT), Nursing (BS,MS, DNP) Health Care Studies (BS), and Social Work (BA). Athletic Training students will benefit from being housed with these programs. Unlike some athletic training education programs, students at Daemen College complete a Gross Anatomy course which includes Cadaver dissection thus providing students with a strong foundation on which to build the rest of their education. Our students have the benefit of utilizing the resources available to these other programs.
Daemen College Athletic Training students complete clinical experiences at numerous clinical sites including College, University, High School, Professional Sports, and Physician Offices. These experiences provide students with the opportunity for practical application of learned skills and knowledge ensuring that each student is equipped for taking the Board of Certification (BOC) exam and for future employment.
What is a Certified Athletic Trainer?
A Certified Athletic Trainer is a highly educated and skilled allied health professional dedicated to preventing, recognizing, treating, managing, and rehabilitating injuries that result from physical activity. A certified athletic trainer has graduated with either a Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree from an accredited program and has passed the BOC (Board of Certification) exam. The certified athletic trainer is concerned with the well-being of the athlete and generally assumes responsibility for overseeing the total health care for the athlete.
The certified athletic trainer works with physicians and other medical personnel, employers, patients, parents, guardians, and athletic personnel in the development and coordination of efficient and responsive health care delivery systems. The certified athletic trainer is an integral part of the sports medicine team and works collaboratively with a physician and other allied health professionals. Athletic Training is recognized by the American Medical Association as an allied health care profession, and the AMA recommends certified athletic trainers in every high school to keep America’s youth safe and healthy.
Certified Athletic Trainers are employed in secondary schools, colleges and universities, professional sports, sports medicine clinics, military, and in the industrial and commercial settings.
Employment of Athletic Trainers is projected to grow 37% from 2008 to 2018, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. For more information go to: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos294.htm#outlook
On Friday 5/6/11, Daemen Athletic Training students toured The Buffalo Bill's Athletic Training Room and Field House. The students had the opportunity to meet with The Bill's Head Athletic Trainer and Athletic Training staff. The tour was lead by The Bill's Athletic Trainer, Shone Gipson, pictured on the bottom right
Current Program Highlights
- Daemen College has the only EL MS program in Western NY and 1 of 26 entry level Master degree programs in Athletic training. There are over 350 Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education accredited Athletic Training programs in the country (bachelors and entry-level masters). The CAATE is investigating the elimination of the BS in AT so Daemen College is well positioned for the future of AT education.
- The Daemen College Athletic Training program was initially accredited on 4/12/13. Then successfully attained approval from New York State Department of Education for the direct entry MS AT.
- We have an 86% first time passing rate (6/7) of the Board of Certification exam and the national average is 82.3%. Three of our 2013 graduating class who took the Board of Certification exam have passed.
- We have 100% employment of our 2012 graduates. (7/7) Excelsior Orthopaedics, Alfred State College, Houghton College, Keuka College, Catholic Health/Medaille College, Building Blocks Fitness, Northeast Orthotics.
- Student Sean Burfeind accepted a Physician Extender residency at St. Luke's Hospital in Boise, ID
- We encourage our students to become dual credentialed with strength and conditioning certifications and performance enhancement specialties. Currently, three of our 2013 graduates have obtained those certifications.
- Lauren Duft, one of our 2013 graduates, was selected to represent New York State at the National Athletic Training Student Leadership (iLead) conference held in Texas.
- Jamal Cort, one of our 2014 graduates, was awarded the PFATS-NFL Charities Minority Scholarship and he will be working at the Minnesota Vikings summer training camp.
- We have had 2 Athletic Training students complete clinical education with the Buffalo Bills and another student about to start with the Buffalo Bills this spring.
Majors & Programs
That’s the best way to really get a feel for what Daemen is all about! Daemen is located in suburban Amherst, New York just minutes away from the city of Buffalo. To schedule a weekday individual interview and tour the campus, email us email@example.com or call 800.462.7652.