Bachelor of Science in Business Administration/Master of Science in Global Business
All degree programs require completion of the Core Curriculum. A complete description of the core and its requirements is available in the Core Curriculum section of the Daemen catalogue. Courses which satisfy a portion or complete a core requirement will have such designation indicated after the course title.
MAJOR AND SPECIALIZATION/TRACK: 60 credits
MAJOR: 45 credits
- ACC225 Financial Accounting (3) - CT
- ACC226 Managerial Accounting (3)
- BA101 Introduction to Business Administration (1)
- BA211 Effective Business Communications (3) - WI
- BA220 Diversity & Cross Cultural Management (3) - AA; WI
- BA350 Business Law I (3)
- BA401 Business Professional and Personal Horizons (2)
- BA443 Proseminar (3) - ILIT; RP; WI
- FIN325 Corporate Finance (3)
- MGQ221 Business Statistics I (3) - QL
- MGQ222 Business Statistics II (3) - QL
- MGT208 Principles of Management (3)
- MGT321 Organizational Behavior & Theory (3)
- MIS280 Computer Studies and Problem Solving (3) - CT
- MKT209 Principles of Marketing (3)
- Business Electives: 3 credits
SPECIALIZATION: 15 creditsSelect one from the following specializations . Note that some courses may fulfill core competencies and/or other core requirements. (Competency and/or other core requirements are indicated after the course title.) Consult the course descriptions available in the College catalogue and accessible from the course schedules published on the Daemen web site.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE MAJOR: 6 credits
- CFE97 Career Preparation Seminar (0)
- 3 credits in an upper level Career Field Experience: Students must possess a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 and permission of a Business faculty member in order to enroll in the Career Field Experience. Students may petition the Department Chair to waive the Career Field Experience requirement if they have comparable, relevant work experience.
- MGQ360 Production & Operations Management (3)
- MGQ427 Managerial Decision Making (3)
- MTH102 Finite Mathematics (3)
- MTH131 Calculus & Mathematics for Business and Social Sciences --CT; QL
NOTE: Students planning to pursue a graduate degree in Business are advised to take MTH131. If MTH131 is taken:
- it will count as part of the 45 CORE credits, thereby INCREASING required Free Electives from 9 to 12 credits.
- A student may be required to complete lower-level Math courses before enrollment in MTH131. Therefore, students who must take additional math courses are encouraged to begin math studies as early as possible.
CORE: 45 credits
- CMP101 English Composition (3) -- CS; ILIT; WI
- ECO201 Principles of Microeconomics (3) -- CT
- ECO202 Principles of Macroeconomics (3) -- CT
- IND101 Sustainable & Critical Relationships (3)
- Core Electives: 33 credits
- STUDENTS PURSUING THE INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS SPECIALIZATION: Foreign Language Requirement: Students must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language through the intermediate level. The requirement may be satisfied through the completion of college level coursework or the successful completion of a proficiency examination. A complete description of the requirement is available in the Foreign Language section of the Daemen catalogue.
FREE ELECTIVES: 9 creditsWith the exception of Economics (ECO), Management Information Systems (MIS), and Quantitative Management (MGQ), courses offered by the Accounting/Information Systems and Business Administration Departments are not allowed. Courses used to fulfill the free electives may but are not required to have a core competency.
TOTAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS = 120 CREDITS
Additional Required Courses For Students Pursuing The BS/MS, Business Administration/Global Business
- MGT501 The Global Competitive Framework (3)
- MGT502 Ethics for Professionals in a Multicultural World (3)
- MGT503 Comparative Management (3)
- FIN601 Global Monetary System and Capital Markets (3)
- MGT504 Operational and Technology Issues in Global Business (3)
- MKT507 Strategic Planning for the Global Market (3)
- Electives (see below-Program Design/Specialty Track) (9)
MGT650 Directed Research
TOTAL BS/MS PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS = 150 CREDITS
Global Business Specialty Track
Students may opt to complete a generalized program in Global Business or they may select a functional area of business in which to specialize. A specialty track is available in Marketing. Students who opt to complete a generalized program in Global Business may take any 9 graduate credits in Business in order to satisfy the 9 credits in electives. Students who opt to complete a specialty track in Marketing will take the 9 credits in electives in courses in that specialty track.
- The same credit transfer policies in effect for the stand-alone BS, Business Administration and the stand-along MS, Global Business are applicable to this combined degree program. Consult the Program Director for complete details.
- Transfer students must complete one semester (minimum of 12 credit hours) at Daemen College before being accepted into this program.
Admission To Upper Division Requirements
A student must apply for upper division status in the first semester of the junior year (November 15 in Fall semester; April 15 in Spring semester). In order to be granted upper division status:
- The student must complete the appropriate sections of his/her electronic portfolio.
- The student must provide verification of 10 hours of community service per semester enrolled at Daemen College.
- Minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00.
- Students with less than an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 will be accepted on a conditional basis with the recommendations of two faculty members from the Accounting/Information Systems or Business Administration departments and permission from the Director of the Global Business Program. Students accepted on a conditional basis will be required to earn a minim grade of "B" in the first three graduate courses taken.
Minimum grades of C must be achieved in the following: ACC225; ACC226; BA101; BA211; BA220; CMP101; ECO201; ECO202; MGQ221; MGQ222; MGT208; MIS280; MKT209.
- In addition to those courses referenced under the Admission to Upper Division Requirements, minimum grades of C must be achieved in the following: BA350; BA401; FIN325; MGT321 AND all courses in the specialization.
- The student must complete 10 hours of community service per semester enrolled in the BS portion of the program at Daemen College.
- An overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 in both the undergraduate and graduate portions of the program.
Pursuit Of The BS/MS, Business Administration/Global Business
Students who wish to pursue the dual-degree BS/MS, Business Administration/Global Business program will begin studies as a major in the BS, Business Administration program and must formally apply for a change to the dual degree program by completing a Change of Major form with the Registrars office. This change will generally occur upon completion of the Sophomore year.
BS/MS Program Structure
The BS/MS program is a dual degree program. No single degree conferral is granted. Both the BS and MS degrees are conferred upon successful completion of all requirements of the BS/MS curriculum.
Suggested Course Sequence
Access the suggested course sequence for the BS/MS, Business Administration/Global Business from the Program Plans option available on the Accounting/Information Systems and the Business Administration departments and the Registrar's web pages.