Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the difference between initial/professional and professional certification programs?
One major difference is the number of credits between initial/professional (min. 39 credits) and professional (30 credits). Also, students enrolled in initial/professional will have to student teach again.
2. What are the requirements to secure a professional teaching credential?
Please refer to the following website: http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CertRequirementHelp.do
3. How long do I have to secure a master’s degree (and either an initial/professional or professional certification)?
As of 2005, you have five years to complete your master’s degree from the time you secure your certification from New York State. Please refer to the following website to search for other requirements: http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CertRequirementHelp.do
4. Can I get an extension to compete the master’s degree?
It is possible. Please refer to the following website: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/timeext.html
5. What are ways to prepare for New York State Teacher Certification Examinations?
For preparation information please visit the following website: http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_prepare_opener.asp.
Also, from time to time, we hear of special preparation classes. If you know of any, let one of the faculty members know and we will send an e-mail to all education students via the list-serve.
6. Can I request who/where I like to be placed to student teach?
When you apply to student teach, on the application there is a section asking for the name and contact information for someone you are requesting to student teach with. We try to honor this, but sometimes this may not work out. But we do our best!
7. Can you explain fingerprinting?
Please visit the following website for information: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tsei/ospra/
8. What, when and where is Project SAVE?
Please visit the following website for information: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/save.html
9. Can you explain about the child abuse on-line course?
Please visit the following website for information: http://www.childabuseworkshop.com/
10. Can you explain about the DASA training?
Please visit the following website for information: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/dasa-applicant.html
11. What tests do I need to take, and pass, in order to secure my certification?
Refer to the following website: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/certexam.html
Also, information can be found at the following website: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/