Universidad de Guanajuato
The University of Guanajuato was founded in 1732 by the Jesuits. Later it received official recognition from King Phillip V of Spain in 1744. The Institution became part of the new State of Guanajuato' s government by 1828, eventually becoming the University of Guanajuato in 1945. Since then the UG has been in a continual process of growth, both academically and demographically, with a presence in 30 of the 46 counties within the State.
As a public institution and through its Mission Statement, the UG was founded on the principles of service and the search for truth by means of the creation, acquisition, preservation and communication of knowledge. A knowledge of man and his environment that contributes to the formation of a just and free society. The UG maintains an openness to all academic and administrative possibilities and strives for academic exchange opportunities at both the national and international levels. Within the State it is a leader in social, scientific and technological development while at the same time aiming to form students of the highest academic and human quality.
The student population at the High School, Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels is approximately 20,000 students. Education is provided for another 20,000 students through its incorporated system of schools that have been accredited by the UG. There are 90 programs offered: 6 Doctoral Degrees, 24 Master's Degrees, 17 Specialties, 42 Undergraduate programs (15 of which have been added in the last two year period) and 1 Associate Degree. There has been a strong academic and historical tradition in the following areas: the Engineering fields, the Natural Sciences, Law, Business and the Arts. The UG knows that its graduates will need to compete in a world without borders and recognize the necessity of students and professors participating in international academic programs.