Bachelor of Arts in History
All degree programs require completion of the Core Curriculum. A complete description of the core and its requirements is available in the Core Curriculum section of the Daemen catalog. Courses which satisfy a portion or complete a core requirement will have such designation indicated after the course title.
History and Political Science department course offerings have changed course prefix/designation to the following: HP (formerly HG): History and Political Science courses; HST (formerly HIS): History courses; PSC (formerly GVT): Political Science courses.
Major: 38 credits
- HST105 Introduction to World History I: From Antiquity to 1500 (3) - CI
- HST106 Introduction to World History II: From 1500 (3) - CI
- HST220 American History to 1877 (3) - CI
- HST221 American History from 1877 to the Present (3) - CI
- HST331 Introduction to Historiography (3) -- WI
- Select one: 3 credits
- PSC101 Comparative Politics (3) -- CI
- PSC113 Introduction to American Politics -- CR
- PSC121 International Relations (3) -- CI
- HP442 Thesis Research (2)
- HP443 Research Project (3) - ILIT; RP; WI
- Electives: 15 credits, of which: 6 credits must be at the 300 level or above, AND at least one course must be taken from each of 3 areas: European Concentration; US Concentration; World Concentration. Access the list of the acceptable History and Political Science electives from the History & Political Science department section of the Daemen catalog, or from the Program Plans option on the Registrar's web page.
Requirements Outside of the Major: 21 credits
- Career Field Experience:
- CFE97 Career Preparation Seminar (0); AND 3 credits in a Career Field Experience (CFE) relevant to the major
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: 18 credits
- Consult the guidelines on LAS course selection from the suggested course sequence for the BA, History, accessible from the History & Political Science department section of the Daemen catalog, or from the Program Plans option on the Registrar's web page.
Core: 45 credits
- CMP101 English Composition (3) CS; ILIT; WI
- IND101 Sustainable & Critical Relationships (3)
- MTH104 Survey of Statistics (3) -- CT; QL
- Liberal Arts and Sciences including Foreign Language: 24 Credits
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Students must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language through the intermediate level. The requirement may be satisfied through the completion of college level coursework or the successful completion of a proficiency examination. A complete description of the requirement is available in the Foreign Language section of the Daemen catalog.
- Core Electives: 12 credits
Free Electives: 18 credits
- Courses used to fulfill the free electives may have, but are not required to have, a competency. A maximum of 6 credits may be taken in History courses.
TOTAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS = 122 CREDITS
You can find information about all of our departmental majors, the requirements for Admission to Upper Division, and requirements for Graduation here or by visiting the History & Political Science Department section of the college catalog, or at the Program Plans option on the Registrar's web page.
Suggested Course Sequence
Access the suggested course sequences for: BA, History, from the History & Political Science Department web page or the Program Plans site on the Registrar’s web page.