Bachelor of Arts in French or Spanish; Bachelor of Arts in Adolescence Education: French or Spanish
All degree programs require completion of the Core Curriculum. A complete description of the core and its requirements is available in the Core Curriculum section of the Daemen catalogue. Courses which satisfy a portion or complete a core requirement will have such designation indicated after the course title.
FRE/SPA288, 388, 488 Colloquium
The Colloquium is designed to help language majors and student teacher candidates:
- to move beyond the partial control phase in their linguistic development
- to address language standards and learn by helping less proficient peers
- to address the need for intercultural knowledge and competence.
Students enroll in the colloquium in the sophomore (288), junior (388), and senior (488) years for 1 credit each. Prerequisites are as follows:
- 288: Successful completion of 106 OR enrollment in or completion of a 200-level language course.
- 388: Successful completion of Colloquium 288.
- 488: Successful completion of Colloquium 388, and enrollment in or completion of a 300-level language course.
All majors are required to complete an international experience in a country where the major language is the official language. Options are: one long term experience (minimum of 1 semester but preferably one year); 2 short-term experiences (Intersemester and/or Summer terms), the combination of which must total a minimum of 7 weeks of experience.
Most such programs will require a minimum GPA of 3.0 in language courses. Modern language students are encouraged to spend a semester or year (Junior Year) abroad. Spanish students attend a Daemen program in Spain, Argentina or Mexico or another university abroad approved by the department. Visit the Global Programs Office for French language programs. Courses taken abroad must be approved by the Modern Language Department. Official transcripts from universities abroad must be sent directly by the University to the Registrar’s Office at Daemen College. The program for the Senior Year is subject to what courses have been taken in the foreign university.
Secondary Foreign Language
All majors are required to demonstrate proficiency in a second foreign language through the intermediate level. The requirement may be satisfied through the completion of college level coursework or the successful completion of a proficiency examination. A complete description of the requirement is available in the Foreign Language section of the Daemen catalogue.
Required Courses Of All Language Majors
MAJOR: 37 credits
- 15 credits in courses designated as Language and Linguistics
- 15 credits in courses designated as Literature and Culture
- French majors:
- FRE288/388/488 Colloquium (1/1/1)
- Spanish majors:
- SPA288/388/488 Colloquium (1/1/1)
- Senior Project: 4 credits. The topic, depth and format of the project are determined in consultation with one's advisor. Projects may include but are not limited to a research paper, Career Field Experience, travel, foreign study, policy paper, service learning. Both of the following courses are required:
- French majors:
- FRE442 Senior Project Research (1)
- FRE443 Senior Project (3) -- ILIT; RP; WI
- Spanish majors:
- SPA442 Senior Project Research (1)
- SPA443 Senior Project (3) -- ILIT; RP; WI
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS IN THE MAJOR: Students must maintain an electronic portfolio that showcases the work they have completed. Student teacher candidates must also showcase assignments particular to the field of teaching.
CORE: 9 credits
- CMP101 English Composition (3) - CS; ILIT; WI
- CMP311 Advanced English Composition (3) - CS; ILIT; UD; WI
- IND101 Sustainable & Critical Relationships (3)
Additional Requirements For The BA, French Program and the BA, Spanish Program
2. CORE: Secondary Foreign Language and Core Electives: 36 credits
3. MINOR AND INTERNSHIP AND FREE ELECTIVES: 41 credits
MINOR: Students are required to complete a minor of their choice from the minors offered by Daemen. Some courses required of a minor may have prerequisites which would also require completion. Courses which carry a competency and support the minor may be credited under the core electives or free electives. Upon authorization of the Modern Language Chair, a sequence of courses in a discipline which does not offer a minor may be substituted. Consult the Modern Language Chair for further information.
INTERNSHIP: 3 credits of internship experience (Career Field Experience; intenship opportunities such as those with the Washington Institute, study abroad experience) approved by the Modern Language Chair will satisfy the requirement. Two experiences are suggested but are not required.
FREE ELECTIVES: Courses used to fulfill the free electives may but are not required to have a competency. A maximum of 6 credits may be taken in courses in the major.
NOTE: Students are strongly encouraged to participate in either LEADS or LEAP Academy and should discuss these options with their advisor.
TOTAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS = 123 CREDITS
Additional Requirements For The BA, Adolescence Education: French; BA, Adolescence Education: Spanish
MAJOR: 3 credits: FRE/SPA420 Methodology (3)
REQUIREMENTS OUTSIDE OF THE MAJOR: 39 credits
- NOTE: A student who has earned a C- or less in EDU237 in his/her first two attempts will be dismissed from the teacher certification program.
- EDU203 Learning Theory (3)
- EDU237 Instructional Design: Theory and Practice (3)
- EDU313 Foundations of Education (3)
- EDU314 Promoting English Language Across the Content Areas (3)
- EDU336 Language/Literacy Development for the Adolescent Learner (3)
- EDU402 Methods in Classroom Management in Secondary Education (3)
- EDU479-480 Student Teaching & Seminar at the Early Secondary/Secondary Level (6/6)
- IPP318 Technology in Education (3)
- LNG415 Second Language Acquisition and Applied Linguistics (3)
- SED270 Nature & Educational Needs of Children with Disabilities (3)
- PSY103 Introduction to Psychology (3) - CC
- PSY311 Psychology of Adolescence (3) - CT; UD; WI
- SOC243 Child Welfare Policy and Services (3)
Secondary Foreign Language AND Core Electives: 27 credits
FREE ELECTIVES: 3 creditsCourses used to fulfill the free electives may but are not required to have a competency. A maximum of 3 credits may be taken in courses in the major.
TOTAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS = 127 CREDITS
Requirements for Modern Language Programs: Admission, Admission to Upper Division, Graduation – consult the Modern Languages department section of the catalogue or the Program Plans option on the Registrar’s web page.
Suggested Course Sequence
Access the suggested course sequence for the BA, French; BA, Adolescence Education: French; BA, Spanish; BA, Adolescence Education: Spanish, from the Modern Language Department web page or the Program Plans site on the Registrar’s web page.
Daemen’s Fall Open House
Mark your calendar for Daemen’s Fall Open House on Saturday, October 24, 2009. This is a one-of-a-kind chance to tour the campus. Get to know admissions counselors, faculty, and Daemen staff. Make a reservation, or call 800.462.7652.