Daemen's Natural Sciences Department is dedicated to providing its students with the finest science education available, preparing them for success in graduate school, and scientific careers in government, industry, or education.
Departmental Mission Statement
The Daemen College Natural Sciences Department prepares students for life and leadership in a rapidly changing, technological society. Science is an integral part of the liberal arts reflecting the creative and dynamic interplay that exists among experimentation, theory, logic, symmetry and language. Emphasis is placed on developing the critical thinking and problem-solving skills necessary to understand and apply scientific concepts to real world problems. In this spirit, the faculty and students collaborate in exploration of our changing world through classroom and research opportunities.
- Small class sizes (10:1 student/teacher ratio) provide personal attention to each student from faculty members dedicated to teaching excellence.
- State-of-the-art teaching laboratories.
- Opportunities to participate in innovative research projects on campus with faculty as well as internship assignments with area hospitals, businesses and environmental firms.
- Strong track record in having our graduates admitted into medical, dental and veterinary schools and other graduate programs across the country.
- Articulation Agreement (4+4 Program) between Daemen College and NOVA Southeastern University (NSU) School of Osteopathic Medicine. Guaranteed admittance of 5 students per year into the NSU Doctor of Osteopathic Medical School upon completion of a B.S. in Biochemistry from Daemen College.
What Makes It Great
- Majors in Biochemistry, Biology, and Natural Science. Minors in biology and chemistry. Specializations are available which include environmental studies, provisional New York State teaching certification, health sciences, individualized studies and forensic science.
- Special advisement for students interested in pre-professional studies in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine.
- Field study in Florida, Costa Rica and other areas while researching local habitats.
- Internships at area hospitals, doctors’ and dentists’ offices, veterinary clinics, animal shelters, and environmental firms.
- Get initiated in the Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society or join our chapter of the National Science Teachers Association.
Wildlife biologist. Research scientist. Environmental lawyer. Pharmacist. Science writer. Forensic scientist. Teacher. Food chemist.Veterinarian. Dentist. Physician.
Articulation agreement with NOVA Southeastern University offers opportunities for Daemen Pre-med students.
Master’s degree in Cytotechnology
Daemen College has partnered with Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI to offer a combined Baccalaureate degree in Biology and a Master’s degree in Cytotechnology
Recent Graduates’ Jobs
Fisheries biologist,Alaskan Observers Inc.; Chemist, Severn Trent Laboratories; Research technologist, Cleveland Clinic Foundation; Environmental policy enforcement, US Army Corps of Engineers; Veterinary students, Cornell and Ross University; Research interns, National Institute of Health; Pharmacy student, SUNY Buffalo; Researcher, IBM Life Sciences division; Medical Students, Cornell University’s Weill Cornell Medical College and University at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
Majors & Programs
Undergraduate Minors & Specializations
That’s the best way to really get a feel for what Daemen is all about! Daemen is located in suburban Amherst, New York just minutes away from the city of Buffalo. To schedule a weekday individual interview and tour the campus, email us email@example.com or call 800.462.7652.