Bachelor of Science in Biology/Master of Science in Cytotechnology
All degree programs require completion of the Core Curriculum. A complete description of the core and its requirements is available in the Core Curriculum section of the Daemen catalogue. Courses which satisfy a portion or complete a core requirement will have such designation indicated after the course title.
APPROVAL FROM CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Professions) PENDING
MAJOR: 83 credits
- BCH313/L General Biochemistry (3/1)
- BIO109/L General Biology I (3/1) -- CT
- BIO110/L General Biology II (3/1) -- CT
- BIO308/L Genetics (3/1)
- BIO315/L General Microbiology (3/1)
- BIO325/L Cell Biology (3/1)
- BIO330/L General Anatomy (4/0)
- BIO340/L General Physiology (4/0)
- BIO417 Immunology (3)
- BIO440/L Molecular Biology (3/1)
- CHE110/L Chemistry I (4/0)
- CHE111/L Chemistry II (4/0)
- CHE301/L Organic Chemistry I (3/1)
- CHE302/L Organic Chemistry II (3/1)
- NSC231 Natural Science: Scientific Language and Literacy (3)
- NSC310 Biostatistics (3) - CT
- NSC331 Natural Science Literature Survey (2) -- ILIT; WI. NOTE: IN COMBINATION WITH NSC443=RP
- NSC443 Natural Science Research Seminar (2) --ILIT; WI. NOTE: IN COMBINATION WITH NSC443=RP
- PAS511 Clinical Microbiology/Immunology (3)
- Select one sequence:
- PHY101/L-102/L Physics I-II (3/1-3/1)
- PHY151/L-152/L General Physics I-II (4/0-4/0)
- Science electives: 7 credits to be selected from recommended Science courses.
CORE: 45 credits:
- CMP101 English Composition (3) - CS; ILIT; WI
- IND101 Sustainable & Critical Relationships (3)
- MTH144 Calculus & Analytic Geometry I (3) - CT; QL
- PHI321 Medical Ethics (3)
- Core Electives: 33 credits
MS, Cytotechnology: 36 credits
- CYT501 Gynecologic Cytopathology (4)
- CYT503 Gynecologic Screening (4)
- CYT505L Gynecologic Laboratory (3)
- CYT521 Non-Gynecologic Cytopathology (4)
- CYT523 Non-Gynecologic Screening (4)
- CYT525 Fine Needle Aspiration Rotation and Immunohistochemistry Laboratory (3)
- CYT541 Fine Needle Aspiration Cytopathology (4)
- CYT543 Fine Needle Aspiration Screening (4)
- CYT545 Cytogenetics and Molecular Pathology Laboratory (3)
- CYT650 Cytology Research and Professional Development (3)
TOTAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: BS (128); MS (36 ) = 164 CREDITS
Degrees are conferred separately for this BS/MS program. No MS will be conferred without completion in full of the complete BS/MS curriculum.
Freshmen Admission Criteria
- Acceptance into the lower division of the Biology major requires successful completion of high school chemistry and mathematics through trigonometry
Admission into the Upper Division of the Program
Students pursuing a Biology degree must apply for upper division status during the spring of their sophomore year. Students interested in pursuing the Cytotechnology degree program will be evaluated at this time by both Daemen College and Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI) faculty and staff. The following criteria will be used to evaluate students and determine acceptance into the program:
- A minimum grade of C in all science courses
- Minimum science grade point average (GPA) of 3.00
- An overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.30 or higher
- Completion of: BIO109/L-110/L; CHE110/L-111/L; BIO325/L, BIO328/L, CHE301/L-302/L; MTH134 (if required as prerequisite to MTH144), MTH144, NSC231
- Laboratory skills in histology and other molecular techniques (i.e., ability to use a microscope, patience in analysis of data, precision of data analysis)
- Demonstrative communication skills as evidenced in the interviews with Daemen and RPCI faculty and staff
Transfer student admission to upper division will be based on prior academic performance, space availability, and the requirements referenced above.
BS portion of the Program (BS, Biology):
- A minimum grade of C in all science courses and MTH144.
- Minimum science grade point average (GPA) of 3.00.
- An overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.30.
MS portion of the Program (MS, Cytotechnology):
- A minimum grade of B in all courses, thereby resulting in a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00.
Suggested Course Sequence
Access the suggested course sequence for the BS/MS, Biology/Cytotechnology from the Natural Sciences Department web page or the Program Plans site on the Registrar's web page.