Mission and Objectives
The mission of the Global and Local Sustainability Program is to prepare students to be compassionate and informed citizens working to create and maintain sustainable communities across the globe. With its interdisciplinary and experiential emphasis, our program will foster the skills to solve problems creatively and with cultural sensitivity, while developing graduates who can communicate solutions with clarity and confidence.
The Sustainability major inspires and prepares leaders, both on an intellectual and practical level, for interdisciplinary careers that require a fundamental understanding of the factors necessary to maintain healthy communities at the local, national and global level. Working in government agencies, not-for-profits, and with any company interested in the social good, graduates will provide the leadership, energy and creativity to develop new approaches and new models to restore the environment, create economic and intellectual capacity, and promote social well-being.
- To provide students with knowledge of the three pillars of sustainability - social, environmental and economic sustainability.
- To provide students with essential interpersonal and organizational skills necessary for collaborating with community partners.
- To partner staff and students with local, national and international communities to promote sustainability.
- To provide internship opportunities for students to further their intellectual and creative skills in economic and social development, cultural and historical preservation and environmental careers in government, not for profits and private businesses.
- To develop creative problem-solving skills to address interdisciplinary challenges of sustainability.
- To build an understanding of the concept of place and the connections between people and their natural, built and social environments.