2013 Visual Arts Scholarship
The Department for the Visual and Performing Arts recognizes the importance of creativity as the driving force in both life and work. Creativity and commitment to the educational foundations of scholarship are what makes for a successful academic career. The VPA chooses to recognize these essential components by offering the Visual Arts Scholarship award of $5,000 renewable annually to two high school seniors who meet the scholarship guidelines.
Each year two incoming freshman are chosen as Visual Arts Scholars based on the strength of their portfolio, academic potential, personal character and leadership. Students are asked to submit a portfolio of 15 - 20 pieces of their best work to be evaluated by the VPA faculty (2013 Portfolio Day, held March 9, 2013). In addition, a current high school transcript must be submitted to Admissions with an average of 85 or higher along with three letters of recommendation.
- Submit an outstanding portfolio of 15-20 pieces of original artwork in a variety of media. It is highly recommended that the actual work be provided; digital or photographic representation will be accepted for over-sized work. Students are encouraged to personally deliver work on Portfolio Day or ship to the Department for the Visual and Performing Arts, along with contact information in a postage-paid return container. Students may pick up their portfolio the follow week through our Admissions Department.
- Meet admission requirements for acceptance into Daemen College, including submission of current high school transcript with a cumulative average of 85 or higher.
- Submit three letters of recommendation: two from teachers, one from a non-family member.
- Maintain a minimum art studio grade point average of 3.3 during freshman year and a minimum of 3.5 thereafter. The Visual Arts Scholar also must maintain a minimum overall average of 2.75 based on a minimum of twelve semester hours of earned credit per semester year. Scholarship recipients will be evaluated at the end of each academic year.
- Scholarship winners will be chosen and notified following faculty selection that day.
- To apply in person: Drop off portfolio: 2014 date pending at Haberman Gacioch Center for the Visual & Performing Arts
- Submit by mail, with return postage to: V&PA Department, Daemen College, Haberman Gacioch Center for the Visual & Performing Arts, 4380 Main Street, Amherst, NY 14226