International Center for Excellence in Animation: BFA in Animation
The International Center for Excellence in Animation at Daemen College offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Animation. The ICEA, operated by the Daemen College Animation faculty, is fully integrated with IBC Digital, a Buffalo-based 3-D Animation company.
"The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Animation will train students to employ art and technology to affect communication in all its forms: entertainment, information dispersal, performance, mass communication, international understanding and intercultural awareness."
Dr. Laura Watts Sommer, Director, Visual and Performing Arts at Daemen College
Animation Degree Overview
- The program is unique in its response to industry feedback, responding to professionals who see a deficiency of animators with a high level of artistic training.
- Students in the Animation Program will be trained as artists and thinkers, and will be able to transfer their creative strengths directly into the field of animation.
- To enable students in the program to gain career experience, IBC Digital will be an integral partner in the ICEA - sharing facilities, creative projects, and international collaborations. The partnership allows students to benefit from the professional experiences and training garnered through available internships and post-graduate employment opportunities. IBC Digital has been a strong creative force in the animation industry producing national commercials, animated television series, projects for clients such as MTV, Disney, PBS; and brands including Trix, Cocoa Puffs, Reese's and Kid Cuisine.
- Students will be provided with specialized technical training in 2D and 3D animation within a fine arts context.
- The program is built around multiple strengths, recognized by animation professionals and business leaders, including the combination of flexibility and breadth of a liberal arts program; the strong visual skills of a fine arts program; and the technological opportunities presented by upper level, specialized animation instruction.
- The curriculum will foster the development of well-rounded learning experiences, better enabling students to actively participate in a complex world.
The Daemen College Bachelor of Fine Arts in Animation is committed to not only giving students specialized technical training in 2D and 3D Animation within a fine arts context, but also to foster the development of well-rounded learning experiences so students may actively participate in the complex world. The increasing complexity of the modern world hinges more than ever on complicated and widespread means of communication. The BFA in Animation will train students to employ art and technology to affect communication in all its forms: entertainment, information dispersal, performance, and mass communication. The strengths of the proposed program, recognized by animation professionals and business leaders, is the combination of: A) the flexibility and breadth of a liberal arts program; B) the strong visual skills of a Fine Arts program; and C) the technological opportunities of the upper level, specialized animation instruction.
We are committed in producing students who are independent thinkers, who are comfortable with diversity and global perspective. Daemen College will make use of distance communication software to collaborate on projects with students and professionals in partner locations, including New York City, Singapore, and China.
Career Options with an Animation Degree
Students graduating with a BFA in Animation will be prepared for careers in the following areas:
- 2D and 3D animation for film and television industries
- Animations for the gaming industry
- Animations for the advertising industry (including web animations)
- Visualization applications for science medicine and research