Mission and Goals
The Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) Mission and Goals in combination with the Mission and Goals of Daemen College and the following professional documents have guided the construction, implementation, and ongoing assessment of our Athletic Training Education Program.
- Board of Certification (BOC) Role Delineation Study
- BOC Standards of Professional Practice
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) standards
- National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA)
- NATA Code of Ethics
- NATA Athletic Training Educational Competencies
- New York State Education Department Requirements
Athletic Training Education Program Mission Statement
The mission of the Athletic Training Education Program at Daemen College is to provide a comprehensive academic and clinical education experience to prepare students to become competent athletic trainers and leaders in the athletic training profession. Professional athletic training education at Daemen College builds upon and reinforces the intellectual qualities acquired through study of the liberal arts, social, and natural science while integrating the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA) educational competencies. Creative problem solving and clinical reasoning skills that promote sound and expeditious decision making are fostered throughout the Athletic Training Education Program.
Athletic Training Education Program Goals
- The student will be eligible for the BOC exam.
- The student will possess the knowledge and skill to provide athletic training services in a variety of settings available to the profession.
- The student will demonstrate problem solving and clinical reasoning skills.
- The student will use evidence-based practice for delivery of patient care.
- The student will demonstrate the foundational behaviors of professional practice.
- The student will demonstrate cultural competence and effective communication with patients, family members, and the sports medicine team.
- The student will be prepared to contribute to the athletic training profession.