Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. What tests do I need to take, and pass, in order to secure my certification?

Refer to the following NYS website:

Also, information can be found at the following website:

2. After I have graduated, do I enter a master’s program to secure a professional certificate or an initial/professional certificate?

If you are not adding an additional certificate, you would enroll in a program seeking a master’s degree in education with a professional certificate. For example, if you graduated with a degree in childhood education and you want to get a master’s in childhood education, then you would enroll in a professional certificate master’s program. HOWEVER, if you are adding a certificate, you would need to enroll in an initial/professional certificate program. For example, say you graduated with a childhood education degree, and you also want to secure your teaching certificate in special education, you are, in effect, adding a certificate and, as such, you will have to enroll in an initial/professional certification program. Address clarifications of the type of master’s that you would need to the college/university you are interested in attending.

3. What is the difference between initial/professional and professional certification programs?

The major differences are the number of credits between initial/professional (min. 39 credits) and professional (30 credits). Also, student enrolled in initial/professional will have to student teach again.

4. What are the requirements to secure a professional teaching certificate?

In addition to the master’s degree, you must have three years of teaching experience. However, NYS has made this a bit complicated. Refer to the following website:

5. How long do I have to secure a master’s degree (and either an initial/professional or professional certification)?

As of February, 2005, you have five years to complete the master's degree from the time you secure your certification from New York State.

6. Can I get an extension to complete the master’s degree?

It is possible. Currently, the requirement for earning a master's degree is five years after a person gets certified in New York. Although there is a process for an extension, you will have to meet one of several conditions. Please refer to the following NYS website for additional information regarding extensions:

7. What year do you start student teaching?

Technically, student teaching is your “capstone” exercise for completing your degree and will propel you to begin your professional teaching career, graduate school or both; thus, student teaching is completed in your senior year. Some students teach in the fall semester, some in the spring. Speak to your advisor about this when the time comes. Please also refer to the Daemen College catalogue and/or your curriculum design.

8. What master’s programs does Daemen College offer?

Read a full description of our graduate education programs.

9. What is the Thomas Reynolds Center?

The Thomas Reynolds Center for Special Education and After-School Programs was established to provide services to school-age children and their families in order to assist students from partner school districts in bridging the academic gap these students are currently exhibiting.

10. When should we take our teacher tests?

This is one of the more elusive questions to answer. Please attend the departmental meetings, speak with your advisor and/or the chair of the department to seek out a timeframe that is best for you.

Please refer to the following website:

Here is the link to the NYS testing website:

11. What are ways to prepare for New York State Teacher Certification Examinations?

For preparation information please visit the following website:

Also, from time to time, we hear of special preparation classes. If you know of any, let one of the faculty members know and we will send an e-mail to all education students via the list-serve.

12. Can you request who/where you’d like to be placed to student teach?

When you apply to student teach, on the application there is a section asking for the name and contact information for someone you are requesting to student teach with. We try to honor this, but sometimes this may not work out. But we do our best!

13. Can you explain fingerprinting?

Please visit the following website for information:

14. What, when and where is Project SAVE?

Please visit the following website for information:

15. Can you explain about the child abuse on-line course?

Please visit the following website for information:

16. Can you explain about the DASA training?

Please visit the following website for information:

17. How do I apply for upper division?

In order to be admitted to upper division (and allowed to take upper division courses), the following must be accomplished:

  • An overall quality point average of 2.55 or better for all completed college courses.
  • A quality point average of 2.55 or better in all education courses (ECSE, EDU & SED prefixes).
  • A grade of “C” or better in all education courses.
  • A grade of “C” or better in EDU 203 Learning Theory. 
  • A grade of “C” or better in EDU 217 Facilitating Reading Literacy for Regular & Special Needs Learners at the Primary Level.
  • A grade of “C” or better in EDU 237 Instructional Design.
  • A grade of "C" or better in SED 270 Introduction to the Nature & Educational Needs of Children with Disabilities.

Graded papers from each class must also be submitted. That is, the research paper from EDU 203 and SED 270 (with instructor’s comments and grade earned), for EDU 217, the read aloud or shared reading assignment (with instructor’s comments and grade earned), and for EDU 237, the instructional unit of teaching/learning experience (with instructor’s comments and grade earned).

Also, you must compile and submit an upper division teaching portfolio for review by department during spring semester of your sophomore year. This will also include an emergent professional resume, an emergent philosophy of education (from EDU 237), an emergent comprehensive development plan and an emergent disposition self-assessment.

As of 2015, the department requires an on-line submission of your upper division portfolio. See your advisor for additional information.

18. What classes are categorized by upper and lower division classes?





EDU 203 EDU 203 EDU 103
EDU 237 EDU 237 EDU 203
SED 270 SED 270 SED 270
EDU 217 EDU 217 ECSE 221
EDU 313 EDU 218 ECSE 279
SED 340 EDU 267 EDU 217
EDU 218 EDU 313 EDU 237
EDU 267 ECSE 222
SED 364 ECSE 280
    EDU 303


EDU 316 EDU 321 EDU 326
SED 363 EDU 316 SOC 303
SED 371 EDU 319 ECSE 324
EDU 319 EDU 320 EDU 320
EDU 320 SED 371 SED 371
SED 401 EDU 327 ECSE 325
EDU 327 EDU 473 EDU 471/ EDU 472
EDU 475 EDU 474  
SED 476  


World of Opportunity Wizard

Wow! Did you know Daemen’s student athletes are among the top of their classes?

Daemen’s student athletes had an average GPA of over a 3.0 while nearly 50% of them were on the Dean's List.

Start Your Journey Now Close