Physician assistants are licensed health care professionals qualified by academic and clinical experience to practice medicine or deliver medical services with the supervision and direction of a licensed physician who is responsible for the performance of that physician assistant (PA). As part of their comprehensive responsibilities, PAs conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, counsel on preventive health care, assist in surgery, and write prescriptions. Within the physician-PA relationship, physician assistants exercise autonomy in medical decision making and provide a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services.
The average annual salary for experienced PAs is about $95,000 or $50 per hour. And, the profession is growing in terms of practitioners, with an estimated 60 percent increase expected over the next decade. Of the approximately 100,000 PAs in the nation, 1 in 10 is licensed in New York.
Gregg Shutts, EdD PA-C DFAAPA, Associate Professor and Chairman/Program Director
Marcy Moore, Director of PA Graduate Services
716.839.8383 (office number)
716.839.8252 (fax number for the Department)
For a list of our prerequisites and requirements, please read the FAQs section (see link on the left menu).
What Makes It Great
- Daemen’s physician assistant program, one of only 170 (and growing rapidly every few months) in the country to be accredited, enrolls both graduate and undergraduate students.
- Highly motivated and talented freshmen may complete four semesters of prerequisite coursework with the comfort of a knowing that a seat in the program is reserved for them. Enroll in Daemen College as a freshmen and you won’t have to reapply for the PA Program – your seat is reserved as long as you meet the academic requirements (see FAQs).
- The success of our program is evident in the 96% to 100% 1st attempt pass rate on the NCCPA Certification Exam over the past five years. (Nationally 91%-94%). Since our program’s inception, over 99% of Daemen College PA graduates successfully acquired board certification as a physician assistant.
- Pursue a variety of elective clinical experiences – including partnerships with hundreds of sites throughout New York State.
- Participate in a wide range of service-learning opportunities, including an annual trip to the Dominican Republic providing health-care services to local villagers.
- Innovative, skilled and proficient faculty, many of whom are board certified and fellowship trained.
- Four members of the faculty are past recipients of NYSSPA's PA Educator of the Year!
Deliver medical services in doctor’s offices, hospitals, urgent care centers, emergency departments, surgical centers, correctional facilities, and more in a variety of specialties including general surgery, family practice, pediatrics, cardiology, orthopedic surgery, dermatology, critical care, psychiatry, obstetrics and gynecology, emergency medicine and others.
Recent Graduates’ Jobs
E.J. Noble Hospital, Dent Neurological Institute, Rochester General Hospital, Saint Joseph's Hospital Health Center, Strong Health, Unity Hospital, WCA Hospital, Northtown Orthopedics, Excelsior Orthopedics, Erie County Medical Center, Veterans Administration, Buffalo Medical Group, Buffalo General Hospital, The Exigence Group, Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center, Eastern Niagara Hospital, Womens and Childrens Hospital of Buffalo, Catholic Health System and a wide-variety of other hospitals and private practices.
All freshmen students apply directly to the Admissions Dept. at Daemen College. Graduate students apply through CASPA (www.caspaonline.org). The deadline for CASPA is Dec. 1st of each year.
Majors & Programs
That’s the best way to really get a feel for what Daemen is all about! Daemen is located in suburban Amherst, New York just minutes away from the city of Buffalo. To schedule a weekday individual interview and tour the campus, email us firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800.462.7652.