Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences/Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (BS/MS)
All undergraduate degree programs require completion of the Core Curriculum. A complete description of the core and its requirements is available in the Core Curriculum section of the Daemen catalogue. Courses which satisfy a portion or complete a core requirement will have such designation indicated after the course title.
BS/MS, Health Sciences/Physician Assistant Studies
NATURAL SCIENCES (32 CREDITS) AND PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT STUDIES (98 CREDITS): 130 credits:
- BCH317/L Bio-Organic Chemistry (3/1)
- BIO109/L General Biology I (3/1) - CT
- BIO110/L General Biology II (3/1) - CT
- BIO315/L General Microbiology (3/1)
- BIO330/L General Anatomy (4/0)
- BIO340/L General Physiology (4/0)
- CHE110/L Chemistry I (4/0)
- CHE111/L Chemistry II (4/0)
- PAS510/L Advanced Human Anatomy I (2/0)
- PAS511 Clinical Microbiology/Immunology (3)
- PAS512 Medical Informatics (2)
- PAS513 Clinical Laboratory Medicine (2)
- PAS514 Pathophysiology (3)
- PAS515 Fundamentals of Clinical Medicine I (5)
- PAS516/L Advanced Human Anatomy II (2/0)
- PAS517/L Physical Diagnosis I (4/0)
- PAS518 Pharmacology I (2)
- PAS519 Fundamentals of Clinical Medicine II (5)
- PAS520/L Physical Diagnosis II (4/0)
- PAS521 Pharmacology II (2)
- PAS522 Cultural and Psychosocial Dynamics of Medicine (3)
- PAS523 Medical Professional Issues (3)
- PAS524 Clinical Pediatrics (2)
- PAS525 Clinical Problem Solving (3)
- PAS526 Surgery and Orthopedics (3)
- PAS527 Geriatrics (2)
- PAS528 Emergency Medicine (3)
- PAS529 Research Methodology (3) -- ILIT. NOTE: IN COMBINATION WITH PAS612 + PAS613 = RP
- PAS530 Preliminary Writing for Research (1) -- WI
- PAS531 Preventive Medicine (2)
- CLERKSHIPS: 30 credits: PAS601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610 Clerkship I - X (3 credits each)
- PAS612/613 Research I-II (1/1) -- ILIT; WI. NOTE: IN COMBINATION WITH PAS529 = RP
- PAS614/615/616 Clinical Seminar I-II-III (2/2/2)
CORE: 45 credits
- CMP101 English Composition (3) - CS; ILIT; WI
- CMP315 Advanced Composition for Health Professionals (3) - CS; ILIT; RP; UD; WI
- IND101 Sustainable & Critical Relationships (3)
- MTH144 Calculus & Analytic Geometry I (3) - CT; QL
- PHI321 Medical Ethics (3) - ME; UD
Psychology and Sociology:9 credit: A minimum of 3 credits must be taken in Psychology and a minimum of 3 credits must be taken in Sociology. PSY333 Statistics for Psychology & Social Sciences cannot be used to fulfill both the Statistics and the Psychology requirement.
Statistics: 3 credits-Select one:NSC310 Biostatistics -- CT; UD; PSY333 Statistics for Psychology and Social Sciences -- CT; QL; UD
Core Electives: 18 credits
BS/MS: TOTAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS = 175 CREDITS
BS/MS Degree Structure
The BS/MS is a dual degree. No single degree conferral is granted. Both the BS and MS degrees are conferred upon successful completion of all requirements.
Depending on Math background, a student may be required to complete lower level Math courses as prerequisite to the required MTH144 Calculus & Analytic Geometry I.
Science Course Work
Science course work completed more than 10 years prior to the first term of enrollment in this BS/MS program is tentatively accepted pending Registrar's receipt of documentation verifying appropriate clinical or science-related experience. Consult the Registrar for details.
Residency Requirement for Physician Assistant Majors
Once a student is enrolled at Daemen, all outstanding prerequisite mathematics and science courses must be completed at Daemen College. The student must successfully complete a full time course load (minimum 12 credits) in the spring semester prior to the onset of studies in the three-year program (BS/MS only).
Requirements for Matriculation into the Three-Year Program (BS/MS only)
All core curriculum course work, with the exception of NSC310 Biostatistics and PHI321 Medical Ethics, must be completed. Minimum grades of C must be earned in all courses. Minimum math/science GPA 3.0. No more than three course repeats. 120 hours of direct patient contact experience. Consult FAQ for more detailed information.
Satisfactory completion of all requirements as per the terms set forth by the Physician Assistant Department
Suggested Course Sequence
Access the suggested course sequence for the BS/MS, Health Sciences/Physician Assistant Studies, from the Physician Assistant Department web page or the Program Plans site on the Registrar's web page.
That’s the best way to really get a feel for what Daemen is all about! Daemen is located in suburban Amherst, New York just minutes away from the city of Buffalo. To schedule a weekday individual interview and tour the campus, email us email@example.com or call 800.462.7652.