The Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services
HOW TO FILE
For an overview of a simple 1-2-3 APPROACH to applying for educational benefits, CHECK OUT the GI Bill Website
Requirements for Filing
- Applicants must be admitted and enrolled at Daemen College. However, if they are not admitted to Daemen, they must be admitted to another institution and be registered for a course or courses at Daemen. In such cases, joint (concurrent) certification is processed with the other school.
- Graduate students are allowed one year of enrollment before they are required to be fully admitted.
- Undergraduates must be fully admitted before filing.
- All forms for first-time applicants, continuing students, and transfer students can be obtained in Duns Scotus 106 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- For each semester, students wishing to receive educational assistance must complete an Application for Semester Entitlement (ASE) form. The Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services will not certify students without a request on file.
- Processing applications takes the Veterans Administration approximately 6 to 8 weeks. This means, after your paperwork has been submitted from the Daemen College Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services to the Veterans Administration, you can expect a check for the current enrollment to arrive at the location designated in the address section of the ASE form from 6 to 8 weeks later. Thereafter, checks will arrive at the beginning of each month for the previous month.
- Questions concerning payment after you have been certified should be directed to the Veterans Administration at (800) 827-0619.
First Time Applicants Required Forms For Filing
- All Applications are located on the main campus in The Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services, in Duns Scotus, or you may apply online using VONAPP (Veterans Online Application).
- Please retain a copy for your USC file.
Required Forms For Filing
- VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-1990) - For new applicants under VA programs: Chapter 30, 32,1606 and 1607(eligible veterans).
- VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-5490) - For new applicants under VA program: Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of veterans).
- This form is the Veterans Administration Application for Education Benefits:
- It must be filled out completely and returned to the Daemen Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services, in Duns Scotus.
- If the student is on active duty, signatures by the Armed Forces Education Services Officer and Commanding Officer are required.
- Veterans must submit a certified copy of the DD-214 along with the 22-1990).
Continuing Students ASE Forms Required for Filing
- Each semester, continuing students must complete the Application for Semester Entitlement also available in the Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services in Duns Scotus.
- The Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services certifies enrollment for past semesters, up to one year.
- Certification for future semesters is not available.
Required Forms For Filing
There are three methods of filing the ASE form:
- In Person - Hard copies of the ASE forms are available in the Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services in Duns Scotus. They may be picked up, completed and returned in person to the Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services in Duns Scotus.
- Facsimile - Completed forms may be submitted via fax to 213-740-6761.
- Email - To send the ASE form via email you must sign and scan the completed form before sending it. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adding or Changing Major/Degree Objective
If you wish to add or change your current degree program or are new to Daemen and have received VA educational benefits at another school, you must complete and sign the appropriate form below and return it to the Daemen Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services in Duns Scotus.
- VA REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (VA 22-1995) For applicants under VA programs: Chapter 30, 32, 1606 and 1607. (eligible veterans)
- VA REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (VA 22-5495) For applicants under VA program: Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of veterans)
Information or Assistance:
Center for Veterans and Veteran Family Services at Daemen: 716-839-8225 or e-mail email@example.com