About the Library
Daemen College Library supports the college curriculum and helps to prepare students for life and leadership in an increasingly complex world by combining traditional library values and materials with the technological advances of global information networks. Librarians help the college community to solve problems creatively and to think critically by assisting individuals to locate, evaluate, obtain, and apply relevant information using a variety of information resources. The Daemen College Library supports an environment where students are expected to be active participants in their own education and helps students respond to academic challenges by teaching the information seeking skills required to thrive in both current academics and in life-long learning.
The Library has a collection of 100,000 hardcopy book, journal and media volumes. The Library has access to over 24,000 full-text electronic journals, over 37,000 electronic books, and houses 600 print serials titles. Each year about 2,500 items are added to the library collection in a variety of formats.
Code of Conduct
The following behavior is inappropriate and unacceptable in the Daemen College Library:
- Removing or attempting to remove library materials or equipment without proper checkout.
- Mutilating, defacing or otherwise damaging library materials by marking, removing pages or portions of pages, removing binding or removing electronic theft devices.
- Drinking from uncovered containers.
- Concealing or "stashing" library materials for exclusive use of an individual or group.
- Using computers to view materials that create an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working/learning environment.
- Making excessive noise, including conversations or the use of audio devices, in such a manner that others are disturbed. EXCEPTION: Low volume group conversation and audio devices may be used in the Information Commons, Study Bridge, and all Group Study Rooms.
- Failure to adhere to copyright laws.
- Any incident of verbal or physical abuse or harassment of library patrons or library staff.
- Vandalizing or defacing the building, furniture or equipment.
- Maliciously accessing, altering, deleting, damaging or destroying any computer equipment, program or data.
- Causing a disturbance - "horsing around" - which interferes with the functioning of the library or causes an unsafe environment.
- Relocating library equipment without permission of library staff.
- Posting, displaying, or distributing any materials, such as notices, advertisements, brochures or newspapers in the library without prior approval of the Head Librarian.
- Loitering in staff areas.
- Using the telephone or computer in any staff office without authorization.
- Being asked to refrain from the prohibited activity.
- Being asked to leave the library premises.
- Suspension or loss of library privileges.
- Referral to the campus disciplinary process.
- Criminal prosecution.
Reference Librarians are employed to help students, faculty, and staff find the information they need and use Library technology. Library staff collectively possess the specialized skills necessary for the Library to function in a diverse, global, and increasingly complex information environment. PLEASE SEEK OUR ASSISTANCE!!
The Library utilizes the latest information technology. The Library Catalog is computerized. The automated Library system allows users to search in over 50 specialized databases for information located in the Library, as well as to search for information located anywhere around the world. Access to the internet is available on public service computers. The computer network is accessible via the internet from the Daemen College homepage. Lap tops are available for 2 hour library use only.
Loan privileges are granted to students, faculty, and staff of the College. Borrowing privileges are extended to Daemen College alumni, Daemen College Associates, and to local community members. A "Patron Access Card" must be filled out at the Circulation Desk. The Library databases are open to visitors, see a librarian for access. For the current Daemen community, a current Daemen I.D. card serves as a library card and must be presented at check out. Length of loans are as follows:
|Materials ||Daemen Student |
|Books ||4 weeks |
|AV ||2 days |
|Journals ||Library Only |
|Reference ||Library Only |
|LP's ||4 weeks |
|Special Reserve ||Library Only |
|Reserve ||Library Only |
Information sufficient for the vast majority of classroom assignments is available in the Library. However, if users need specialized information located elsewhere, interlibrary loan is available to all.
Course reserve readings are located at the Circulation Desk. Coin-operated photocopy machines are available. Most reserve readings are also available on Electronic Reserve. Other equipment available to use includes: videocassette players, a microform reader/printer, and various other audiovisual equipment.
Library instruction classes, both beginner and advanced are offered for individuals and classes. Contact the reference librarians if you are interested.