Alumni Career Partners
Welcome to the Alumni Career Partners program! Career Partners are Daemen College alumni who have agreed to serve as an information resource for you regarding their career path, industry, or geographic location.
Log into: http://my.daemen.edu/alumni/alumni_career_partners/search.php
Search for Daemen College Alumni Career Partners that match your interests.
Search suggestions: search by name, class year, career field/industry type, company name, or geographic location
Once you have searched the database and identified potential Career Partners, connect with them according to their preferred contact method (phone, e-mail, or letter) to arrange future communication.
Prepare ahead of time for each networking opportunity or informational interview. If you are meeting in person, dress professionally.
Follow-up each in-person contact with a formal, written thank you note.
Send feedback to ACP@daemen.edu and keep us informed of your experience with the program.
Since you will most likely be having a conversation with your alumni connection, whether over e-mail, phone, or in person, it’s important for you to be prepared. You may wish to gather information about a specific career field or company. This type of situation is known as Informational Interviewing. Typical sample questions you may ask:
- How did you get started in this line of work?
- How did you prepare yourself for this profession?
- What does your typical day involve?
- How much travel is involved with your profession?
- What do you find most rewarding about your work? What are the challenges?
- What type of people do you work with?
- What, in your opinion, is the job outlook in this field/company/geographic location?
- What types of classes would help me prepare for your field?
- What skills or personal qualities are essential in this field?
- Could you recommend specific types of internships or volunteer work I can do to prepare myself for this career area?
- Which professional organizations would you suggest I join?
- Do you know anyone else in this career field who might be willing to talk to me about what they do? Would you allow me to use your name when I contact them?
If you are connecting with alumni for the purposes of a job or internship search, you are networking. Make a good impression on him/her and their colleagues so they remember you if you apply for a job at their place of employment. The Alumni Career Partnership Program is not meant to serve as a recruitment device or job placement program.
Sample questions you may ask:
- Which specific skills or qualifications should I concentrate on to be marketable in this career field or organization?
- How can I best market myself to potential employers?
- How does the hiring process work at your organization? (Do not ask them to hire you!)
- What is the salary range for entry-level positions?
- Who would be the best person to contact or send a resume to regarding a position with your organization?
Search for Alumni Career Partners using your My Daemen account