Smart Phone Email Configuration
Daemen's email is provided through Google's GMail. Due to the popularity and convenience of smart phones we have put together some additional instructions and tips for the iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile.
Google has extensive information on its mobile offerings.
This also includes all iOS devices (including iPod Touches and iPads).
To setup your iOS device to connect to your Daemen email we strongly suggest using the Gmail app.
1. Go to the App Store and search for "Gmail"
2 Login using your full Daemen email address i.e. email@example.com and your Daemen password.
To setup your Daemen Calendars on your iOS device use the settings below.
Go to "Settings", "Mail, Contacts, Calendars", "Add Account", select "Other", under Calendars select "Add CalDAV Account"
Password: YOUR DAEMEN PASSWORD
Desciption: Daemen Calendars
Touch Next. As long as you see all check marks you're done. Touch Save! Give it a few minutes to download all of your Calendar events.
Google also has general instructions on configuring your iOS device.
To configure the 'Gmail' app on an Android device for access to Google Apps email, just follow the steps below:
Directions by manufacturer may differ slightly.
Open the Settings app for your phone or tablet
Find the Accounts section
Touch Add account
Select Google as the type of account
Choose Existing to sign into an account you already have
Type your full Daemen email address
Type your password and touch the right arrow to sign in.
Finish going through the last couple of screens and the Gmail app is ready to go.
Your will be ready to go shortly after completing all of the above steps.
Google also has general instructions on configuring your Android devise.
Note: While setup instructions are provided below, Gmail IMAP access is not officially supported for BlackBerry devices at this time.
To set up the BlackBerry's email client with Google Apps email (IMAP), just follow these steps:
- On your BlackBerry device, navigate to your home screen
- Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called Setup, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, BlackBerry Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up)
- Follow the setup instructions provided on your device to create a new e-mail account
- Be sure to enter the following:
- Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
- Username: [your full Daemen email address]
- Password: [your Daemen password]
- IMAP Port: 993
- Allow the system to add your account, but do not enter your Google Apps password into the utility boxes (this causes the system to default to POP3 instead of IMAP)
- Select Next
- Select Next again (bypassing the 'Additional Information Required' section)
- Select your account type, then select Next
You may encounter a 'We were unable to configure...' error. Select I will provide the settings to continue
- Select the option that mentions 'IMAP/POP'
- Select I will provide the settings..., then select Next
- Select Set up existing email account...
- Enter your Google Apps account information here, with 'imap.gmail.com' as your mail server
- Select Next
- Select Save
If setup is successful, you should receive a confirmation message and a new mailbox icon should appear on your device's home screen, labeled with your Google Apps email address.
Google also has general instructions on configuring your Blackberry devise.
Windows Mobile Phone
To set up Google Sync on your Windows Mobile device, please follow the steps below.
Important Note: Make sure that you have backed up any Contacts and Calendars from your phone to your computer before proceeding.
1. Open the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync application on your device's home screen.
2. Click Set up your device to sync with it.
3. Enter m.google.com as the server address.
4. Ensure that the SSL option is selected.
Sign In to Your Google Account
5. Click Next.
6. Enter your full Daemen email address as the User name.
7. Enter your Daemen password as the Password.
8. Leave the Domain field empty. If your device requires you to enter a domain name, enter google.
9. Click Next.
10. Check Contacts, Calendar, or Email, depending on which you'd like to sync. (Tasks is not supported and will lead to an error if checked.)
11. Click Finish.
12. Press the Sync softkey on the left to synchronize.
You've now set up Google Sync for your Windows Mobile device.
Google also has general instructions on configuring your Windows Mobile devise.