General Information

General Information

In New York State, child care centers and pre-schools are established settings that are strictly regulated. Although there are many child care and school options near Daemen College, admission to a child care center may require a waiting period and can be costly. Students may find it helpful to postpone the arrival of their dependents until arrangements for housing and child care have been made.



Tips for Choosing Child Care

If your child will attend a pre-school, child care center or even a kindergarten program, the National Association for the Education of Young Children  and New York State's Department of Child Care Services suggests that you look for signs that your child will be in a healthy child care center environment. Some criteria to use in evaluating the centers for children between the ages of two and six include:

  • The children are engaged in active play or quiet activities. Children should not be wandering aimlessly or sitting quietly for long periods of time.
  • The children have access to various materials and play equipment appropriate to the ages of the children and their developmental levels and interests, including children with developmental delays and disabilities, that promote the children's cognitive, educational, social, cultural, physical, emotional, language and recreational development.The teachers work with the children individually as well as in a group.
  • The classroom is decorated with the children’s work.


Public Schooling

  • By law, all children between the ages 5-16 are required to attend school.
  • In the United States, public school education is free for all children age 5 and older.
  • Private or religious-affiliated schools charge tuition.
  • The school year is typically from early September to mid-June.

Required Documents for School Enrollment (translated in English, if applicable)

  • Child’s health records (including dates of immunizations)
  • Child’s birth certificate
  • Child’s grade reports or leaving certificates (may be useful in securing appropriate placement in a school in the U.S.)


How to Determine Which Public School to Enroll Your Child

Your child’s school will be determined by the district in which you will live. You should check with the school district in which you reside to find out how to enroll your dependent children.




Adapted from New York State Office of Children and Family Services and The National Association for the Education for Young Children

World of Opportunity Wizard

Wow! Daemen students & faculty travel abroad during the inter-semester break!

Faculty accompanied students to Mexico City and Cuernavaca for the January inter-semester term.

Start Your Journey Now Close

Student Profiles

Feifei - Global Business

Global Business

Read Full Profile

In Daemen, I took ESL classes to improve my English. I worked at Canavan Desk and made a lot of friends over there. I participated in a Business dinner with my professors. I was invited to join a family party by my professors. During the weekends, I often take the school shuttle to the shopping mall. These experiences helped me to ease into the American-style of study, life, and business.