President’s Charge for the Search
Dear Mr. Mills:
I would like to thank you and the other members of the search committee for accepting my charge to identify a list of acceptable finalists to fill the critically important position of Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer at Daemen College.
In my judgment, the fiscal challenges facing higher education in general, and Daemen College in particular, will require a visionary leader with the right mix of proven and innovative approaches to managing the financial operations of the College. The next Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer will take on a major leadership role at a college that is growing both in size and stature. Consequently, this new member of the Cabinet must be an experienced, innovative, and accomplished leader who will collaborate with the university leadership to help promote Daemen’s pathway to increased academic and operational excellence.
I am confident that your committee will help to identify a short list of outstanding individuals, any one of whom could become our next Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer.
Toward that end, I would specifically charge you and the committee to give priority consideration to the following:
- Conduct a national search for the most highly qualified individual who will best fit both the key requirements set forth in the published job description profile, with special focus on the unique characteristics of Daemen College;
- Give careful consideration to identifying highly qualified under-represented women and minority candidates among those individuals under review for the position;
- Give priority consideration to those candidates with recent experience within a higher education setting or with experience in a complex corporate setting where innovative approaches to financial management were specifically demonstrated;
- Where appropriate, encourage the committee to proactively contact highly qualified individuals whom members may know and recommend for the position; and
- Develop and maintain a website devoted specifically to the search, with links to important information that will assist in the committee’s recruitment process.
Finally, reflecting the importance of your committee and your role as chair, I urge the committee to maintain strict confidentiality regarding all proceedings of the search. Furthermore, as is typical with leadership searches, all communications from the search committee should come from you as the chair.
Again, I want to thank you and the other search committee members as you begin the critically important recruitment of the next Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer at Daemen College.
Gary A. Olson, President