Become an Orientation Leader
**Applications are also available at the Wick Desk.
2013 ORIENTATION LEADER JOB DESCRIPTION
From years past, it can be stated that the Orientation Leaders are the most significant contact that new students make while attending the Summer Orientation Programs. We make every attempt to personalize the orientation experience so that students may feel comfortable about beginning their studies in the Fall.
Note: It is not necessary to have participated in an Orientation Program yourself in order to become an Orientation Leader.
Although the following is not all inclusive, it contains many of the expectations the College requires of its Orientation Leaders:
- To serve as a group leader for discussions and ice breaker activities with students and/or families.
- To serve in the capacity of RA (Resident Assistant) regarding residential life procedures during the Orientation Programs.
- To serve as a guide and knowledgeable source of information for new students.
- To serve as a role model representing the College.
- To actively assist new students and their families with their transition to Daemen College.
- To participate in all Orientation activities.
- To attend three Orientation Leader Training Sessions.
- Relate and interact well with students, parents, faculty, and staff.
- Have knowledge of Daemen College and the activities and services that are available to students.
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time Daemen College student, having completed a minimum of one semester at the College and have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better.
- Must be enrolled full time for the Fall 2013 semester.
- Must be a member of the Daemen community in good standing and not be on disciplinary or academic probation.
- Must be available to participate in ALL training sessions and work collectively as part of a team to prepare for the Orientation Programs.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
- Application materials (application form, resume, written essays, and reference letter) will be accepted until February 20, 2013.
- Interviews* will be held late Early March.
- Orientation Leader Selection Committee will choose the 2013 Orientation Leaders by March 15, 2013.
- Orientation Leader Selection Committee will contact all applicants by mail by March 22, 2013.
*Note: former orientation leaders are exempt from the orientation leader interview process. However, previous Orientation Leader experience does NOT guarantee a position for this year’s program.
- Room and board on campus (linens not provided) during the Orientation Programs.
- Four orientation staff shirts (two for the summer program and two for the welcome back program).
- $400 to be paid at the conclusion of the programs. ($300 for the July Programs, $30 for Transfer program (if applicable) and $100 for the September Welcome Back Program.)
May 3 Mandatory Orientation Leader Welcome (2-4pm)
July 13 Mandatory Orientation Leader Training – Session I
July 14 Mandatory Orientation Leader Training – Session II
July 15-19 Summer Orientation Sessions I & II
August 6 Transfer Orientation (optional)
Auguat 30 Mandatory Welcome Back Week Training
August 31-September 5 Welcome Back Week Activities
September 7 (tentative date) Convocation/Inauguration
**Orientation Leaders must work exclusively for Daemen’s Orientation Program for the dates listed above. Failure to meet all the Orientation Leader expectations/responsibilities will result in forfeiture of all, or a portion, of the described compensation, as determined by Daemen College and the Orientation Committee.
**Any students hired as Resident Assistants for the Fall 2013 semester will be hired as Orientation Leaders for the July & August orientation programs only. During Move-in/Welcome Back Weekend they will assume their RA duties.
**If you are a student athlete who would like to apply for a position, but is concerned about conflicts during the welcome back week; please note that the orientation office will work with you develop a schedule that will meet the needs of the athletic department and orientation.
What did past Orientation Leaders have to say about being an OL:
"There is not a better experience then when new faces become new friends over one night."
"Being an orientation leader has changed my personality and my view of other people, it’s an overall life changing experience."
"Everyone comes in as strangers, we all go home as family."
"Mad crazy fun!"
"My experiences as an orientation leader are truly unforgettable. The memories and friendships I have made are invaluable and I wouldn't trade them for the world."
"Being an orientation leader was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had and at the same time it was a blast!"
"Not only did I have a wonderful week, I learned life lessons and gained friendships that will last a lifetime."
"Unforgettable! It is life changing!"
"Not a minute went by during orientation week that I didn’t learn something about my fellow orientation leaders, my new classmates, or more importantly, myself."
"There is no ‘I’ in team and this is one team I’m so glad to be part of…all of these people are so special and have made a major impact on my life – we are one big happy family!"
"The friendship built from this teamwork will last forever."
"It was one of the best experiences ever – it was the highlight of my summer…strengthening existing bonds and creating new ones!"
"The feeling of helping others is priceless!"
"It’s a amazing how a group of strangers become best friends in a few days."
"Meeting & interacting with the incoming freshmen and their parents, coupled with facilitating new relationships is one of the most rewarding experiences I have had."
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US!
Do you have a question that was not answered above? Feel free to contact the office of Orientation & Student Leadership at 716-839-8494 or at email@example.com.