Daemen College requires all resident students, international students, student-athletes (club as well as intercollegiate sports), and students in health-related fields of study who will be participating in external learning experiences (clinical affiliations, etc.) to be covered by health insurance that can be used in the Buffalo/Amherst area.
Comparable coverage means:
- access to local doctors and other healthcare providers
- diagnostic testing/lab services
- prescription drugs
- outpatient mental health
- inpatient and outpatient hospital services
- emergency services
urgent care center services
Please provide the Health & Insurance Services Office with a photocopy of your health insurance card prior to the fall semester. If you do not have health insurance, Daemen offers a plan. Please go to our health insurance administrator's web page to learn about the plan. The cost for the 2015-16 academic year (August 1, 2015 through July 31, 2016) is $2,464. The cost (once you have elected to enroll) will be added to your tuition bill. Please review the FAQ for this plan before going online and enrolling. You may also review the Benefit Highlight Flyer for an overview of the plan.
Other health insurance options are available to college students:
- Coverage as a dependent on parents' health insurance plan to the age of 26
- Coverage through Medicaid based on expanded eligibility requirements in some states
- Coverage through a Marketplace; with premium tax credit, or subsidy, if income requirements are met
- Catastrophic Plan offered through a Marketplace
- Coverage through an individual health plan offered outside of a Marketplace
- Coverage as a common law employee
Please remember that unless a copy of your health insurance card is on file in the Health & Insurance Services Office, no keys to residence halls will be given to students who plan to live on campus; athletes will not be allowed to practice or play; international students will not be allowed to attend classes; and students assigned to an external learning experience will not be allowed to participate.
If you do not provide proof of adequate insurance (a plan that can be used in the Buffalo/Amherst area), you will be enrolled in the Daemen insurance plan and the premium will be added to your student account. Once enrolled, the premium is non-refundable.
Students from the New York City Area, outside the metropolitan Buffalo area, and those from out of state:
Please check with your insurance company (the member services number should be found on the back of your card) to see just how, if, and where your insurance can be used in the Amherst area. A number of plans are not accepted by health care providers in this area and will not be considered acceptable proof of insurance.