What to do When You're Ill
Students enrolled in the Daemen College Accident and Illness Insurance Plan:
During daytime hours, if you are not well and in need of medical attention:
1. Please call:
Family Care Medical Center
61 Maple Rd.
Williamsville, NY 14221
|Mon – Thurs
||7:30 am – 4:30 pm |
||7:30 am - 12:30 pm|
||8 am – 11am|
|(no appointment needed on Sat.)|
2. Identify yourself as a Daemen student who is covered by Daemen insurance when calling. Family Care is well-equipped and staffed to provide you with high-quality health care. The center will make every effort to see you as soon as possible, the same day, but please call before going to the center so they can fit you into their schedule. Walk-ins are taken ONLY on Saturday mornings.
3. If you need a ride… When you are ill, free transportation from campus to Family Care Medical Center will be provided for you by calling the Health and Insurance Services Office, after you have made your appointment, at ext. 8446 (weekdays) or Security at ext. 8246 (or “0” from any campus phone)(Saturdays). Let us know the time of your appointment and where on campus you wish to be picked up. You will be picked up approximately 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. Call Security directly from the center (839-8246) for your return trip. The driver will take you to a drug store on the way back to campus if you have prescription or over-the-counter medication needs.
4.The center will bill Klais & Co. (the health insurance administrator) directly, saving you the hassle.The $10 co-pay is expected at the time of your office visit. Please be prepared to bring the $10 with you. Prescriptions must be paid for at the time they are filled. Bring the computer printout that accompanies your prescription to the Health and Insurance Services Office (located in Wick Center). The staff will submit the paperwork to the insurance company for your reimbursement.
In the evening, or whenever Family Care is not open…
5. If you cannot wait until Family Care is open to seek medical attention, you may use the services at MASH Urgent Care, located in the Dent Tower on Sheridan Dr. (at the end of Campus Drive).
6. MASH Urgent Care is a walk-in facility (a mini-emergency room) and no appointments are required. Just call Security (ext. 8246 or “0” from a campus phone) when you need a ride.
7. MASH Urgent Care will provide a bill for YOU to submit to Klais & Co. but the $10 co-pay does not apply here and the charge to you personally (after Klais pays your benefit) will be a MINIMUM of $50 – depending on the level of care required. This is far less than the costs you would incur if you went to a traditional hospital emergency room. If out-of-pocket expense is a concern, try to seek medical attention at Family Care Medical Center whenever possible.
At MASH Urgent Care, you must pay in full (cash, credit or debit card, or check) at the time of service. So be prepared. The cost will be $135. Bring any bills to the Health and Insurance Services office and you will be assisted in submitting them to Klais & Co.
MASH Urgent Care
3980 Sheridan Dr.
Amherst, NY 14226
7 days a week
Directions to Family Care Medical Center: (approx. 2.7 miles from campus)
- Exiting campus at Curtis Hall or the Business Bldg. parking lot, turn RIGHT in Getzville Rd.
- Take Getzville Rd. to Sheridan Dr. (first light).
- Turn LEFT on Sheridan Dr.
- Turn RIGHT on Millersport Hwy (first light)
- Take Millersport to Maple Rd.
- Turn RIGHT on Maple Rd. Pass the first set of buildings on your right – the next building is Family Care.
On your return to campus:
When making a LEFT out of the center’s parking lot, get over to the RIGHT on Maple. Take Millersport SOUTH.
For medication needs, Walgreens is located on the southwest corner of Sheridan and Millersport. If you are stopping at Walgreens, cross Sheridan Drive (rather than making a left to heads towards campus) and make a RIGHT into Walgreen’s parking lot.
Inquire at the Health and Insurance Services Office for information on how to use the insurance when you are away from campus (home on weekends and/or breaks).
How to Access Health Care if You Do NOT Have Daemen’s Health Insurance
Take the time, before coming to Daemen for your first day of classes, to find out just how YOUR insurance works when away from home, when out of your network, etc. Don’t wait until you are sick! That’s the time when you least have the time or energy to find a health care provider.
When you’re sick or in pain, you want and may need medical attention quickly. You’re feverish, achy and your nose is running. You’re 200 miles away from home and have no way to get there to see your family physician. With a busy day of classes ahead of you tomorrow, your road to recovery needs to begin tonight.
At MASH Urgent Care they understand that illness and injury don’t take a vacation because your doctor’s office is closed or you are away at college and do not have access to your primary physician. You still deserve the compassion and quality medical attention you would receive from your personal physician or in the emergency room.
That is why MASH Urgent Care is staffed with board certified ER physicians who have the skills and experience to treat life’s little surprises with the expertise and compassion that you deserve.
MASH Urgent Care participates with Independent Health Association, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Univera, Aetna and Chickering. All others can pay by cash, check major credit or debit card the amount of $115 which includes any lab work and/or x-rays. MASH Urgent Care will gladly courtesy bill your insurance company for reimbursement.
MASH Urgent Care
3980 Sheridan Drive
MASH Urgent Care is located at the foot of Campus Drive (at Sheridan Dr.) in the Dent Tower.
7 days a week, 9am – 9pm
No appointments are necessary.
|Urgent Care by Lifetime Health
1185 Sweet Home Road
Amherst, NY 14226
| Monday – Friday
|| Noon – 10 pm|
| Saturday & Sunday
|| 1 pm – 8:30 pm|
|Call (716) 656-4040 for a same day appointment or walk in|
Office co-pay (instead of ER co-pay)
for non-life threatening illnesses and injuries
Urgent Care participates with nearly all major insurance plans.
Call first to find out fee scales and if they participate with your insurance plan.
Visit www.lifetimehealth.org for more information.
Directions from Daemen College:
- Exit campus onto Getzville Road.
- Right on Getzville to Sheridan Drive (first traffic light).
- Left on Sheridan Drive to Millersport Hwy (first traffic light).
- Right on Millersport Hwy.
- Stay to the right and exit onto Maple Road.
- Left on Maple Road to Sweet Home Road.
- Right on Sweet Home Road.
Urgent Care by Lifetime Health is located in the Amherst Health Center on your right as you round a small bend.