The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning or SoTL is the systematic study of teaching and learning processes. SoTL involves the search for best and new practices to disseminate knowledge in classrooms that promotes effective learning. Areas of SoTL could include but not be limited to classroom research, advisement, mentoring, instructional assessment, instructional technology, and instructional design. Faculty engaged in SoTL research find themselves asking a research question informed by a problem or idea; designing a study to gather evidence; draw a conclusion based on study results; and make the findings public in some meaningful way to benefit others. SoTL projects are rigorous and help faculty researchers serve as both scholars and learners.
The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning provides SoTL resources and support for faculty seeking such research in their work. For assistance or to submit your SoTL project for this community, please contact Dr. Michael Berta or Dr. Hella Jacob.
The Human Subjects Research Review Committee or HSRRC is Daemen College's IRB and is responsible for ensuring that all research at Daemen College involving human subjects is appropriately documented in accordance with pertinent legal and ethical requirements. Researchers who receive the Committee's approval for their projects are responsible for conducting the research as approved, without changes pertaining to the treatment of subjects, and are responsible for maintaining ethical standards while conducting research. To initiate your study with Human Subjects Research Review Committee (HSRRC) approval, please visit their webpage.
The following peer-reviewed SoTL articles were contributed by Daemen College faculty. They are offered in date order.
- Flint, M. S. (2012). Formative assessment to support agile teaching and active learning.Journal for Excellence in Business Education, 1(1).
- Good, J. P., Ramos, D. ,and D'Amore, D. C., (2013). Learning style preferences and academic success of preclinical allied health students. Journal of Allied Health, 42(4), e81-90. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.daemen.edu/docview/1493992006?accountid=10399
Ordered by publication date (newest to oldest).
- Wesley, C. (2016, July 13). Are you assigning enough reading? Or too much?. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved from http://www.chronicle.com/article/Do-You-Assign-Enough-Reading-/237085
- Wesley, C. (2013, September 5). Sanctioning silence in the classroom. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved from http://www.chronicle.com/article/Sanctioning-Silence-in-the/141369
- Wesley, C. (2012, October 18). Mark it up. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved from http://www.chronicle.com/article/Mark-It-Up/135166