Dear Ms. Duran:
I would like to thank you and the other members of this search committee for accepting my charge to identify a list of acceptable finalists to fill the critically important position of Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication at Daemen College.
In my judgment, the fiscal challenges facing private higher education in general, especially in New York State with the Excelsior Scholarship, and at Daemen College in particular, will require a visionary leader with the right mix of proven and innovative approaches to marketing, public relations, crisis management messaging, research-based messaging, and branding expertise for the College. The Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication will oversee the entire effort including the development and implementation of a new College-wide strategic marketing and branding initiative. This new comprehensive plan will be designed to coordinate all campus efforts to increase student enrollment, manage external communications and the College’s identity and image, motivate fundraising among alumni and other prospective donors, and recruit highly qualified faculty and staff. Consequently, this new Associate Vice President must be a visionary possessing broad experience and expertise in building and implementing comprehensive, coordinated strategic marketing and communication plans that incorporate a broad array of media tools, including but not limited to print, broadcast, and digital and social media.
I am confident that your committee will help to identify a short list of outstanding individuals, any one of whom could become our next Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication.
To these ends, I would specifically charge you and the committee to give priority in consideration of the following:
- Conduct a national search for the most highly qualified individual who will best fit both the key requirements set forth in the published job description profile, with special focus on the unique characteristics of Daemen College;
- Give careful consideration in identifying highly qualified, under-represented minorities and women candidates among those individuals under review for the position;
- Give priority consideration to those candidates with recent experience in similar positions at institutions of higher education, with special emphasis on those with experience at private, non-profit colleges or universities;
- Where appropriate, encourage the committee to proactively contact highly qualified individuals whom members may know and recommend for the position; and
- Develop and maintain a website devoted specifically to the search, with links to important information that will assist in the committee’s recruitment process.
Finally, reflecting the importance of your committee and your role as Chair, I urge the committee to maintain strict confidentiality regarding all proceedings of the search. Furthermore, as is typical of leadership searches, all communications from the search committee should come from you.
Again, I want to thank you and the other search committee members as you begin the critically important recruitment of the College’s Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication.