Dear Dr. Nayor:
I would like to thank you and the other members of the search committee for accepting my charge to identify a list of acceptable finalists to fill the critically important position of Senior Director of Development and Major Gifts Office at Daemen College.
The successful filling of this position will enable the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Craig Harris, to implement successful strategies for not only completing the College’s first comprehensive campaign, but also laying the foundation for future success. I ask that you work closely with the search committee to provide VP Harris with at least 3 finalists from which to choose.
I am confident that your committee will help to identify a short list of outstanding individuals, any one of whom could become our next Senior Director of Development, for which VP Harris can deliberate and make a sound decision.
To these ends, I would specifically charge you and the committee to give priority consideration to the following:
- Conduct a national search for the most highly qualified individual who will best fit both the key requirements set forth in the published job description profile, with special focus on the unique characteristics of Daemen College;
- Give careful consideration to identifying highly qualified under-represented minorities and women candidates among those individuals under review for the position;
- Give priority consideration to those candidates with recent experience in similar positions at institutions of higher education, with special emphasis on those with experience at private, non-profit colleges or universities;
- Where appropriate, encourage the committee to proactively contact highly qualified individuals whom members may know and recommend for the position; and
- Develop and maintain a website devoted specifically to the search, with links to important information that will assist in the committee’s recruitment process.
Finally, reflecting the importance of your committee and your role as Chair, I urge the committee to maintain strict confidentiality regarding all proceedings of the search. Furthermore, as is typical of leadership searches, all communications from the search committee should come from you as the Chair.
Again, I want to thank you and the other search committee members as you begin the critically important recruitment of the Senior Director of Development and Major Gifts Officer.
Gary A. Olson