Dear Dr. Nayor and Ms. Duran:
I would like to thank you and the other members of the search committee for accepting my charge to identify a list of acceptable finalists to fill the critically important position of Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer at Daemen College.
In my judgment, the fiscal challenges facing private higher education in general, especially in New York State with the Excelsior Scholarship, and at Daemen College in particular, will require a visionary leader with the right mix of proven and innovative approaches to managing the financial operations of the College. The next Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer will take on a major leadership role at a college that is growing both in size and stature. Consequently, this new member of the Cabinet must be an experienced, innovative, and accomplished leader who will collaborate with College leadership to help promote Daemen’s pathway to increased academic and operational excellence.
I am confident that your committee will help to identify a short list of outstanding individuals, any one of whom could become our next Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer.
To these ends, I would specifically charge you and the committee to give priority consideration to the following:
- Conduct a national search for the most highly qualified individual who will best fit the key requirements set forth in the published job description profile, with special focus on the unique characteristics of Daemen College;
- Give careful consideration to identifying highly qualified under-represented minorities and women candidates among those individuals under review for the position;
- Give priority consideration to those candidates with recent experience in similar positions at institutions of higher education, with special emphasis on those with experience at private, non-profit colleges or universities;
- Where appropriate, encourage the committee to proactively contact highly qualified individuals whom members may know and recommend for the position; and
- Develop and maintain a website devoted specifically to the search, with links to important information that will assist in the committee’s recruitment process.
Finally, reflecting the importance of your committee and your roles as Co-Chairs, I urge the committee to maintain strict confidentiality regarding all proceedings of the search. Furthermore, as is typical of leadership searches, all communications from the search committee should come from you both together as the Co-Chairs.
Again, I want to thank you and the other search committee members as you begin the critically important recruitment of the College’s next Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer.