The B.S. degree is for students who seek a career in the accounting field but do not wish to pursue the CPA certification. The B.S./M.S. degree is for students wishing to pursue a career in public accounting and meets the new 150-hour requirement to sit for the CPA exam. The Accounting at Night program is for students that have an associates degree in business.
"Our goal is to help make our students as marketable as possible before graduation. We focus on guiding them to build their resumes with the many valuable profession-related experiences we offer within our degree programs.” - Sharlene Buszka, Department Chair
- 100% of students get help with their internship and job placement. Most internships are paid, are in the Buffalo, NY area and often lead to full-time positions upon graduation.
- Students get practical experience working with the community on their taxes through VITA and the Accounting Lab which offers tax services to not-for-profit organizations.
- Students have the opportunity to work with a number of software applications such as Enterprise Resource, XBRL, Quickbooks, and more.
- Students begin accounting courses in the first year.
- Students may elect to complete a three-course sequence in forensic accounting during their undergraduate study.
- Available minors in over 50 areas including Sustainability, Entrepreneurship and many more.
- View Information Sheet
Accounting at Night
Students with an associates degree in business may complete their bachelor's degree through our Accounting at Night program.
- The program features online and evening classes.
- Complete your Accounting B.S. in just 2 years.
- Complete your Accounting/Professional Accountancy B.S./M.S. in just 3 years.
Students get practical experience working with the community on their taxes through the VITA program. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, have a disability, or speak limited English. Daemen’s student preparers must become IRS certified by taking the class Income Tax Theory, and passing IRS exams in ethics, general tax return preparation, taxation of international students and taxation of military students.
During the 2018 filing season, our students and alum helped prepare an amazing 236 income tax returns from the Western New York community! Many students who participated in the VITA program during previous years came back to help because they found the experience so meaningful.
Outstanding Graduating Senior Accounting Award
William Olkowski was recently named the Accounting Department's outstanding graduating senior. Bill is a veteran who served in the military for 10 years and was deployed to both Bosnia and Macedonia. Since arriving at Daemen in 2015, he has utilized the leadership skills he perfected in the military and served as treasurer and vice president of Student Veterans Alliance, vice president of Public Relations of ENACTUS, head managing editor of Iconoclast, and treasurer and vice president of Membership of Toastmasters.
Bill has been on the Dean's list every semester and will be completing his masters in professional accountancy by May 2019. Besides majoring in accounting, he has completed a minor in writing composition. As a Competent Communicator Award Recipient and an Advance Communicator medal earner, Bill been recognized numerous times as an outstanding speaker.