The HR curriculum has been certified as aligning with SHRM’s curriculum template and guidebook. Graduates take the Professional in Human Resources (PHR) exam after gaining 2 years of full-time exempt HR work experience.
- Daemen College ranks in the top 25% of affordable small schools offering a bachelor’s degree in human resources. The curriculum is aligned with the Society for Human Resource Management recommended requirements for human resources degree programs as outlined in the SHRM curriculum guidebook and templates.
- Students are connected to HR professionals currently working in the field through experienced part-time faculty, shared events with the Buffalo Niagara Human Resource Association (BNHRA), and mentoring relationships.
- In addition to learning all facets of business including economics, management, organizational behavior, accounting, marketing, law, and international business, our program prepares you for the most important issues facing business leaders today including, diversity ethics, and global management.
- Available minors in over 50 areas including sustainability, entrepreneurship, modern languages, public relations and many more.
- An emphasis on the development of students’ interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Specialization-related internship experiences supplement classroom knowledge, build professional interpersonal skills, develop liaisons with the business community, and provide concrete, resume building work experience.
About HR Management Specialization
Labor Relations, International Management, Human Resource Management, Seminar in Human Resource Management, and a 3-credit business elective selected with advisor’s approval.
Students are provided with several opportunities to build their resumes.
- They are able to include SHRM club memberships, community service experiences, and 120 hours (or more) of professional work experience obtained through an internship. This will allow them to be more competitive when applying for jobs or graduate school.
Students are required to complete a 3 credit (120 hour) internship in an HR related position; students have often been offered full-time positions upon graduation. Many students choose to do more than the required hours in order to gain experience in different business or industries.
- Students present an HR related training class to students during our Academic Festival every spring. Previous topics have included: “Ethical Hiring Practices”; “Landing Your First Professional Job”; “Emotionally Intelligent Leadership” and “The Dos and Don’ts of Background Checks.”
- Graduates take the PHR (Professional in Human Resources) exam after gaining 2 years of full-time exempt HR work experience
HR professionals are employed in every industry and by virtually all medium to large sized companies. Some job opportunities include: Recruiter, Staffing Manager, Human Resources Manager, Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist, Human Resources Information Systems Specialist, Employee Relations Manager, Work/Life Coordinator, Compensation & Benefits Manager, Manager of Training & Development, and Labor Relations Manager.