As a graduate student in our Masters in Special Education program, you will have opportunities to work with children with special needs, attend classes that effectively prepare you to teach Common Core standards-based lesson plans, integrate technology, and understand the laws that protect students with IEPs. We offer two pathways to your degree:
Initial/Professional Program- This program is for students seeking certification from New York State who do not possess a teaching certificate in special education. The program can be completed in as little as four semesters including a summer session.
Professional Program- This program is for students seeking professional certification from New York State and already possess an initial teaching certification in special education. The program can be completed in as little as three semesters including a summer session.
- Evening, online, and hybrid courses are offered to accommodate busy schedules.
- The Thomas Reynolds Center is an innovative and unique opportunity that allows students to gain hands-on teaching experience, stay current in the field, and use technology within their lessons all while completing their degree.
- Opportunities to work with children with disabilities in both suburban and urban settings within the Buffalo, NY community.
- Small classes allow for individualized attention from knowledgeable and dedicated faculty.
- Students learn practical ways to conduct research and how to apply research-based strategies.
- Daemen’s Education Department is nationally accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC)/Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) from May 3, 2013-May 3, 2020.
As a graduate student enrolled in Daemen’s Masters in Special Education program, students have the opportunity to apply and interview for a graduate assistant position within The Thomas Reynolds Center. The Center is a unique and competitive program that allows graduate students the opportunity to gain paid, hands-on teaching experience while pursuing their Master's Degree. As a graduate assistant, you will get the experience and credentials you need to set yourself apart from the competition.
This program is for students seeking certification from New York State who do not possess a teaching certificate in special education. Students seeking an initial certification in special education would apply to the Initial/Professional Program. The student must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in an acceptable liberal arts concentration and demonstrate a major area of study. In order to obtain initial certification, students must complete the requirements issued by NYSED.
This program is for students seeking professional certification from New York State. The student must already possess an initial teaching certification in special education. A copy of his/her teaching certificate must accompany the other required documentation as part of the admissions application. Students seeking professional certification would apply to the Professional Program. In order to obtain professional certification, students must complete the requirements issued by NYSED.
Additional Program Information
In addition to satisfying the general criteria for graduate admission to Daemen College, applicants must:
- Upon acceptance possess a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 or above (on a 4.00 scale)
- Submit scores from taking the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- School Code for GRE scores: 2762
- Participate in a personal dispositional interview
Full-time students working towards a graduate degree in Special Education: Childhood Education (Grades 1-6), are eligible for a 50% tuition-only scholarship applied to the full tuition rate. For information, contact Lisa Waterrose, Director of the Thomas Reynolds Center for Special Education and Graduate Advisor at Lwaterro@daemen.edu .
Education students at Daemen benefit from using state-of-the-art video technology as a powerful assessment tool. Daemen has invested in a complete range of digital educational tools including Swivl robots, Smartboards, iPads, and educational apps to give our students a distinct advantage.
Special Education, M.S.
When it came time to apply for graduate school and choose an area of study, I knew I was going to continue my education in the Special Education field. READ MORE
Special Education (1-6), MS
Currently, I am a Graduate Assistant at The Thomas Reynolds Center. This is an extremely exciting opportunity considering I have my own classroom and students. READ MORE
For more information, contact Lisa Waterrose, Director of the Thomas Reynolds Center for Special Education and Graduate Advisor at Lwaterro@daemen.edu