Beyond Biology: Social Determinants in Health Promotion
April 7th, 2018, 9am - 2:30pm
Daemen College - Wick Center Social Room
Dr. Raul Vazquez, M.D, F.A.A.F. P.
Primary Care Physician - Urban Family Practice
President/CEO – G-Health Enterprises
Read more about our distinguished speaker, Dr. Vazquez.
8:30 am - Check-in Begins
9:00 am - Welcome
9:15 am - Group Activity
9:30 am - Community Leader Panel
11:00 am - Breakout Sessions- Options include Built Environments, Community Health Education, Community Health Outreach, Health Policy/Systems, Social Justice
12:00 pm - Lunch
1:00 pm - Keynote Speaker
2:00 pm - Closing
Community Leader Panel Participants
- Community Access Services
- Community Health Worker Network of Buffalo
- Population Health Collaborative of Western New York
- Wellness Institute of Great Buffalo
- WNY Peace Center
Undergraduate and graduate students from Daemen College or other institutions are invited to submit proposals for poster presentations related to social determinants of health. Please see the attached pdf for a framework of the social determinants of health to help guide your topic development.
Abstracts must be e-mailed to email@example.com by February 9. 2018. All proposals must abide by the following specifications and include the following information. Please CC (carbon copy) any co-presenters and your faculty supervisor.
Names, majors, institutional affiliation and email addresses of all presenter(s)
Title (not to exceed 15 words) Abstract (not to exceed 200 words)
Size of poster you plan to submit:
Large - 36” x 48”
Small - 20” x 30” (mounted to foam board)
The poster set-up will be from 8:30-9:00 am and poster presentations will take place from 12:15-1:00pm on Saturday April 7th, 2018.
All posters should include the following:
- Author(s) and major(s)
- Main body. Because each poster will be viewed from a distance of 2 or more feet, it is recommended that the largest possible type is used. Illustrations, in either tabular or graphic format, should be used to support the major points and be clearly identified.
- Posters should be easy to read and not crowded. Be selective and save non-essential, but interesting information for the informal discussion.
- Small Poster Information - 20” x 30” and mounted to foam board
Easels will be provided for the smaller posters.
It is suggested that you create a template using Microsoft Word or a PowerPoint slide, setting page size to 20-inch height and 30-inch width.
Printing is at the expense of the student. The Daemen College print shop offers the best pricing and is available to non-Daemen students, but requires a minimum of 5 business days for printing. Approximate printing cost is $20 for color printing (20” x 30”) or $25 mounted to foam board. Must be paid by cash or check - sales tax will be added.
Large Poster Information - 36” x 48” (for Daemen College student reference - this is the typical size of Academic Festival posters)
Large posters will be attached to display boards or walls. Tape and or tacks will be provided
It is suggested that you create a template using Microsoft Word or a PowerPoint slide, setting page size to 36-inch height and 48-inch width.
Printing is at the expense of the student. The Daemen College print shop offers the best pricing and is available to non-Daemen students, but requires a minimum of 5 business days for printing. Approximate Daemen printing cost is $50 for color printing (36” x 48”). Must be paid by cash or check - sales tax will be added.
Registration will be open through Friday, March 30th
Full schedule including our panel presenters will be available soon - please check back.
We greatly appreciate the support for this conference. We would like to thank our sponsors:
- Daemen College Office for Academic Affairs
- Daemen Health Promotion and Public Health Departments
- Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
- D'Youville College CRPASH (Center for Research on Physical Activity, Sport & Health)