The biochemistry degree emphasizes an integration of chemistry and biology and prepares students for a specialization in pre-medicine with a 4+4 medical school opportunity for qualified students, forensic science, or cellular and molecular biology.
Biochemistry Program Highlights
Daemen College has an articulation agreement with NOVA Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for a 4+4 program for qualified pre-med students.
- Small class sizes (10:1 student/teacher ratio) provide personal attention to each student from faculty members dedicated to teaching excellence
- State-of-the-art teaching laboratories
- A research project with a faculty member is required
- Many graduates apply for admittance to medical, dental, veterinary, osteopathic or other graduate programs
- Field study in Florida, Costa Rica and other areas while researching local habitats
- Internships in and around Buffalo, N.Y. hospitals, doctors’ and dentists’ offices, veterinary clinics, animal shelters, and environmental firms
- Opportunities to participate in innovative research projects on campus with faculty
- Strong track record of our graduates admitted into medical, dental and veterinary schools and other graduate programs across the country
- View Printable Information Sheet
Graduates can seek employment in various areas. Some options include: wildlife biologist, research scientist, environmental lawyer, patent attorney, pharmacist, science writer, forensic scientist, teacher, food chemist, veterinarian, dentist, physician, and more.
Recent Graduates’ Jobs
- Chemist, Severn Trent Laboratories
- Environmental Policy Enforcement, US Army Corps of Engineers
- Fisheries Biologist, Alaskan Observers Inc.
- Researcher, IBM Life Sciences Division
- Research Technologist, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Research Interns, National Institute of Health
Many program graduates apply for admittance to medical, dental, veterinary, osteopathic or other graduate programs
- Boston College Graduate Program in Forensic Studies
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Portland State University Graduate Program in Chemistry
- University of Buffalo Graduate Program in Chemistry
- University of Michigan Graduate Program in Chemistry
- University of Rochester Graduate Program in Chemistry
- University of Rochester Graduate Program in Epidemiology
- Wegman’s School of Pharmacy
I want to be a medical examiner. Knowing that I needed to go to medical school for this, some staff members encouraged me to look into a major in either biology or biochemistry so that I was eligible for Daemen’s articulation agreement with NOVA Southeastern University in Florida. READ MORE