Daemen’s Paralegal Studies Certificate is designed for the student who wants the flexibility offered by another credential or who are considering a career in a legal field. Students love the hands-on practical courses taught by local attorneys and judges who are experts in their field.
This program has attracted students of all ages and from all types of jobs -- marketing or administrative positions at law firms, administrative assistants at major companies, early retirees who want a second career, and recent college graduates.
- Classes are only $350 a credit hour if the student has a bachelor's degree.
- Available to undergraduate Daemen students or any student that has a four-year degree from any institution.
- The majority of classes are offered at night to accommodate the working professional.
- A wide variety of legal specialty courses are available.
- Emphasis on legal writing, legal research, and analytical skills.
- Hands-on research instruction at the University at Buffalo Law Library.
- Free access to the premier legal database, WestlawNext, used in law schools, courts, and law firms.
- Full semester courses so students can develop their skills with hands-on assignments.
- Opportunity to learn from practical experiences such as trips to courts and legal offices in downtown Buffalo, guest speakers, and internships.
- Students are taught by experienced attorneys who are experts in their field and have spent years working with paralegals.
- Paralegal students have enjoyed internships at Buffalo City Court, Niagara County Court, Hodgson Russ, New York State Attorney General's Office, U.S. Attorney's Office, and private firms such as Bernhardi & Lukasik and Sarles, Frey & Joseph.
- Experience service-learning by working with attorneys from not-for-profits helping immigrants and refugees from all over the world!
- The Certificate program can be finished in as little as 2 semesters!
*Paralegals assist attorneys in legal research, writing, and case investigation. Paralegals cannot provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.
Complete the free Daemen College Online Application and indicate that you are a "transfer" student. Then select "Paralegal Studies" under the "Certificate Programs" option.
Paralegal skills can prepare you for many different jobs in many different places, such as courts, the legislature, insurance companies, employment agencies, nonprofits, or health insurance agencies. With paralegal skills, you can be a small business owner or work for a legal software company. Learning paralegal skills, in addition to the pre-law minor, can also help prepare you for law school.
Bar association administrator
Claims adjuster, administrator, appraiser, examiner and investigator
Compliance and enforcement inspector
Conflicts analyst or specialist
Design/developer of trial visual aids
Editor for a legal or business publisher
Equal employment opportunity specialist
Human right investigator
Legal software representative
Litigation support specialist
Loan closing coordinator
Loan coordinator for bank
Loan interviewer and clerk
Occupational health and safety specialist and technician
Patent database administrator
Real estate agent, broker or assistant
Risk management technician
Securities compliance officer
Small business owner
Title examiner, abstractor and researcher
Title insurance administrative assistant
Trial court coordinator
Victim or witness advocate for county district attorney's office or U.S. Attorney's officeVirtual Assistant
Business and Paralegal Certificate
I chose to add the Paralegal Certificate because I always had an interest in law. The certificate gave me a greater understanding of the law and how it applies in an everyday setting. After graduation, I was able to get a job with M&T Bank working with the process improvement team.