A highly practical, creative, project-based course of study, the Daemen College program in Applied Theater is unique in that it teaches students how to use theater to help others, and to become citizen artists who are capable of using drama and performance to create community, enrich global citizenship, and to benefit underserved populations.
The goals of this program are to prepare theater students to use performance as a tool for education, social change and community development. This will be done through a predominantly project-based educational model.
- Learn how to integrate theater into education
- Learn community outreach practice
- Learn about the role of theater in community organization
- Learn how to initiate and sustain a community-based arts organization
- Learn how to implement and facilitate Arts-in-Education initiatives
- Learn about theaters role in non-traditional environments, including the business world
- Learn how to employ entrepreneurial strategies to an increasingly independent and decentralized theater industry
We approach acting, movement, playwriting, directing and other skills not merely as the tools of entertainment but as ways in which we can make theater serve others in a variety of settings. Our faculty consists of professional actors and directors who have worked in a variety of settings, including health-care environments, institutions, community centers, churches, temples, schools, and more.
The program also prepares students for admission to graduate programs in performance, theater history and literature, drama therapy and community organizing.
Our faculty includes theater professionals recognized nationally as actors, directors, artistic directors, arts educators, and applied theater specialists. Additionally, the Applied Theater program integrates a strong background in entrepreneurship theory and practice, taught by our entrepreneurship faculty.
The Applied Theater program has ongoing partnerships with professional theaters in the Western New York area, including:
- New Phoenix on the Park
- Torn Space Theater
- The Buffalo Soundpainting Ensemble
- The Kavinoky Theatre
- Irish Classical Theatre Company
- The Theatre Alliance of Buffalo
We also have partnerships with national organizations such as the Network of Ensemble Theaters.