Dominican Republic January 2018
International Service Learning IND 348
- Spend 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic this January with Daemen faculty and students
- Visit Santo Domingo and the El Seybo region of the Dominican Republic
- Receive 3 Daemen credits on your transcript (2 credits in the fall semester, 1 credit in the spring semester)
- Participate in a unique Service Learning Project
- Open to ALL majors from ALL class levels!
- Excursions include:
- Beach day
- Dancing lessons
- Cooking demonstration
NOTE: Spanish language ability is NOT required for this program.
ALL participants MUST have a valid passport.
See below for more information!
Program Dates: January 3-17, 2018
Week 1 will include:
- Living in a homestay with a local Dominican family
- Survival Spanish language class
- Workshops on culture, history, health care, and more!
- Dancing lessons
- Cooking demonstration
Week 2 will include:
- Group transportation to the community of El Cerrito in the El Seybo region
- Service Project
- Enjoying the Caribbean atmosphere and island life!
This course meets as a hybrid course throughout the Fall and Spring semester. Students will enroll in 2 credits during the fall semester and 1 credit during the spring semester. This course fulfills the Daemen Service Learning requirement. Syllabus will be made available prior to departure.
Students will work alongside long-time Daemen partner Community Service Alliance (CSA). CSA serves rural communities of the Dominican Republic that often last access to health promotion and disease prevention initiatives and education. This January we will be working in the El Seybo region in the El Cerrito community. We will be continuing an already established project between CSA and the Dominican Ministry of Health, delivering improved public health services including clean water, sanitation and other hygiene efforts. Participants may be involved in multiple tasks such as working in family’s homes to install water filtration systems that will deliver clean, safe drinking water, helping to build appropriate latrines to promote safer sanitation and hygiene, and working in community based gardens to help provide a sustainable source of nutritious food. In addition, we will partner with an innovative youth development project – ‘My Vida en Juego’ (My Life in Sport) to work with young developing athletes. This project works with youth from resource poor communities to provide opportunities for education, vocational and professional skill development, and enrichment of values and character. Learn more about Community Service Alliance here.
Daemen reserves the right to adjust its fees in the event of significant change in exchange rates or other factors beyond its control.
The following program budget is an estimate and is subject to change
(includes airport pickup, housing, all meals, group transportation, full-time program leadership and support, cultural activities, and pre-departure advising.)
|International Health Insurance||$21|
|Air transportation estimate (round-trip based on Buffalo departure)||$700|
Out of Pocket costs: It is recommended students bring approximately $200 for spending money during the program. Souvenirs, snacks, extra bottled drinking water, etc. are not covered by the above mentioned fees. Students should plan on bringing money for these expenses.
Non-refundable deposit -------------> $500 due on May 5th to hold your spot
2nd payment ----------------> $500 ($1,000 if you haven't paid deposit) due on September 12th
3rd payment------------------------------> $1,000 due on October 16th
Final payment----------------------------> $750** due on November 13th
**Amount dependent on fundraising efforts
Payments can be in cash, check or credit card in the Business Office (DS 106). Please make sure the student name is on the check and inform the staff it is for the January Dominican Republic program. Do not pay Student Accounts.
1. Stop by the Global Programs Office (DS 245) to sign up and pick up the Service Learning form.
2. Complete the Service Learning form and submit to the registrar. Add IND 348 to your program plan on WebAdvisor.
3. Pay the $500 deposit by May 5th or $1,000 by Sept.12th.
*You MUST have a valid passport to participate
For questions, please contact email@example.com.