On-Campus Living Question and Answers

Incoming students, current students and parents tend to have many questions concerning on-campus living. If you have additional questions, please feel free to call the Office of Housing & Residence Life at Daemen College at (716) 839-8200.


Move In

When is move in for new students?

New students move into the residence halls on Saturday, August 31st, 2013. Check in takes place in the Wick Student Center from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM. Students should bring proof of insurance at this time if not previously submitted.

When is move in for returning students?

Move in for returning students is Sunday, September 1st, 2013. Check in takes place in the Wick Student Center from 10:00 AM- 1:00 PM. Students should bring proof of insurance at this time if not previously submitted.

Move Out

When is move out for non-graduating students?

All students who are not graduating or graduation assistants through Student Activities MUST be completely moved out of their residence halls by Saturday, May 10th, 2014 at 10 AM. If you have circumstances of which you need to stay later, you must come into the Office of Housing & Residence Life and be approved by May 7th, 2014.

When is move out for graduating students?

All students who are graduating or graduation assistants must be completely moved out of their residence halls by Sunday, May 18th, 2014 at 10 AM. If you have circumstances of which you need to stay later, you must come into the Office of Housing & Residence Life and be approved by May 7th, 2014.

Where do I turn in my keys if the Office of Housing & Residence Life is closed?

If the office is closed, keys will only be accepted in the Wick Security Office. If keys are turned in by friends or at the security guard house, you cannot dispute a lost key charge if you are charged for missing keys.


Living Conditions

Can I bring a refrigerator with me into Canavan ?

Small personal sized refrigerators (2 cubic ft) are permitted in Canavan. Residents living in tripled rooms are asked to coordinate with their roommates so that no more than 2 small fridges are brought into the room. Larger personal refrigerators (up to 4 cu ft) may be approved if shared by all residents of the room.

What are the laundry facilities like on campus? Do they require a card or money?

Laundry is free for resident student use at Daemen. The machines require no card or money. Laundry facilities are located on each floor of each resident building.

Are cooking facilities available in the residence halls?

In Canavan, each floor is equipped with a microwave, stove/oven, and kitchen sink in the lounge for student use. The Campus Village and Collegiate Village apartments include a full kitchen with a stove/oven, sink, refrigerator, and microwave. Students must provide their own cookware and dishes.

Do the residence halls have heating and air conditioning?

All residence halls are heated. All apartments have central air, but Canavan Hall does not.

What internet is available and where do I go if I have problems with my internet?

All resident students at Daemen College are provided with access to the internet through Ethernet cords, which are available through the computer lab. In most locations on campus, wireless internet is also available, including in the residence halls and the academic buildings on campus. If problems with the internet arise, they can be addressed at the Smart Squad Computing office located on the first floor of the Research and Information Commons.

Is there television access in the residence halls?

In Canavan, a television with cable access is available in the lounge of each floor. Individual rooms are not equipped with cable access. In Campus and Collegiate Villages, every individual bedroom is equipped with cable access as well as each living room. Televisions must be provided by the students.

Housing Policies

What am I permitted to bring into the residence halls?

A complete list of permitted and restricted items can be found here.

How do I request a roommate?

Roommate requests can be made in your housing preference form, which is administered by the Office of Admissions. At the end of the fall semester, Residence Life hosts a "roommate swap week" so if you find someone during the fall semester you would like to live with, you can switch at that time. After your first year at Daemen, you can pick your roommates with housing selection.

I have already been placed in the residence halls. How do I change my room/roommates?

Housing changes are rarely made after students have been placed. Any petitions for changes must be approved by the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Can I have a pet on campus?

Only fish are allowed in the residence halls. No exceptions can be made.

What do I do if I lost my keys?

First, check with the security office, Housing & Residence Life office, and Wick desk for any lost keys. If not found, Housing & Residence life will replace the keys, with a charge of $75 for a room key, $50 for an “electronic intelikey” which is your black key and $15 for a mailbox key. If you loose all three keys, there is a charge of $140.

Can I stay in campus housing during the inter-semester/holidays?

Campus housing is typically available during portions of the inter-semester period and holidays.  The campus closes completely during the week including the Christmas and New Year holidays and no students are permitted to stay during this time.  The only exceptions made are for international students who are unable to travel home at that time. Notifications will be sent to students with instructions for requesting to stay during campus breaks. Arrangements must be made through the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Students should make themselves aware of hall closing and opening dates for travel planning purposes.  Students placed at Collegiate Village may stay through all breaks, as the apartments do not close until end of the year check-out.

Is health insurance required at Daemen?

All resident students at Daemen College are required to have health insurance. Students must provide proof of personal health insurance plans or health insurance may be purchased through Daemen College.

Am I required to get a meal plan, and what are the meal plan options? What are the meal hours?

Every resident student is required to have a meal plan. The meal plans include a 10-meal/week, 14-meal/week, and 19-meal/week options. All residents of Canavan hall must have the 19-meal/week meal plan. More information regarding meal plans & meal hours can be found on the food service website at http://www.daemen.edu/studentlife/foodservice/.


Visitation Policy

What is the campus visitation policy?

For Canavan Hall, all guests must sign in at the front desk. Members of the opposite gender may be on the floor until midnight on weekdays and 3 a.m. on weekends. Members of the same gender may stay overnight for up to two consecutive nights in a seven-day period. This rule applies in the first year apartments as well since there are shared bedrooms within the unit.

For Campus Village, any individual may stay overnight for up to two consecutive nights in a seven-day period. Guests must be accompanied by the host student at all times while in the residence halls.


Campus Life

What is security like on campus? How do I keep my belongings safe and what if they are stolen or damaged?

Daemen College security is on patrol 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Security can be contacted by dialing (716) 839-8246 at any time. They are available to open any doors on campus and help in emergency situations. The best way to protect your belongings is by locking your door when you leave your room or apartment. As stated in the housing policy contract, Daemen College is not responsible for the loss or damage of personal belongings.

How can I become involved with Housing & Residence Life?

Any student that has at least sophomore status at Daemen College may apply to be a Resident Assistant. Resident Assistants work to create community in the residence halls through various activities and methods and to help maintain safety on campus. For a less committed involvement, any student can ask their Resident Assistant ways to get involved including attending residential programming.



Are alternative forms of transportation available on campus if I do not have a car?

Yes; a shuttle is available on the weekends, at no cost, to take students shopping or to run various errands. Also, Daemen College provides transportation for students who need medical attention, including doctors visits.  Shuttle service is also provided for students residing at Collegiate Village.

Is transportation available to local bus stations, train stations and airports?

No, there is no formal transportation available. There is a list of alternative forms of transportation on Daemen’s Student Life website e.g. NFTA buses are right next to Daemen College and cabs are available.

World of Opportunity Wizard

Wow! Did you know that Daemen Physical Therapy students excel on the national licensure exam?

The Daemen College Weighted Average Ultimate Pass Rate based on the most current data as reported by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (2009-2011) is 100%, with our graduates demonstrating first time pass rates above both state and national averages each year.

Start Your Journey Now Close

Student Profiles

Laura Antoine

Laura - Health Care Studies

Health Care Studies

Read Full Profile

"Living on campus has been an amazing experience. I love my friends who live on and off campus and there’s never a dull day."