On-Campus Living Question and Answers
Incoming students, current students and parents tend to have many questions concerning on-campus living. If you have additional questions, please feel free to call the Office of Housing & Residence Life at Daemen College at (716) 839-8200.
When is move in/ move out?
New students move into the residence halls on Saturday, September 5, 2015 in the Wick Student Center from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM. Students should bring proof of insurance at this time if not previously submitted.
Move in for returning students is Saturday, September 5, 2015 in the Wick Student Center from 2:00 PM- 5:00 PM. Students need to resubmit health insurance every year!
All students who are not graduating or graduation assistants through Student Activities MUST be completely moved out of their residence halls by Saturday, May 9th, 2015 at 10 AM. If you have circumstances of which you need to stay later, you must come into the Office of Housing & Residence Life and be approved by May 4th, 2015.
All students who are graduating or graduation assistants must be completely moved out of their residence halls by Sunday, May 17th, 2015 at 4 PM. No extensions can be permitted.
In order to formally check out with the Office of Housing & Residence Life, all students must return their keys to the Residence Life Office. If the office is closed, keys will only be accepted in the Wick Campus Safety Desk. If keys are turned in by friends or at the security guard house, you cannot dispute a lost key charge if you are charged for missing keys.
What are the laundry facilities like on campus? Is laundry free?
- Laundry is free for resident student use at Daemen. Laundry facilities are located on each floor of each resident building. In Collegiate Village, laundry units are in the apartments common space. For students residing at the Homewood Suites, students can either pay for laundry on site, or gain access to a free washer/ dryer on campus.
Is there television/ cable access in the residence halls?
- In Canavan, a television with cable access is available in the lounge of each floor. Individual rooms are not equipped with cable access. In Campus, Collegiate Villages and Homewood Suites, every individual bedroom is equipped with cable access as well as each living room. Televisions must be provided by the students unless a student is residing at the Homewood Suites.
How do I request a roommate?
- Roommate requests can be made in your housing preference form, which is administered by the Office of Admissions. After your first year at Daemen, you can pick your roommates with housing selection.
What do I do if I lost my keys?
- First, check with the security office, Housing & Residence Life office, and Wick desk for any lost keys. If not found, Housing & Residence life will replace the keys, with a charge of $75 for a room key, $50 for an “electronic intelikey” which is your black key and $15 for a mailbox key. If you loose all three keys, there is a charge of $140.
Can I stay in campus housing during the inter-semester/holidays?
- Campus housing is typically available during portions of the inter-semester period and holidays. The campus closes completely during the week including the Christmas and New Year holidays and no students are permitted to stay during this time. The only exceptions made are for international students who are unable to travel home at that time. Notifications will be sent to students with instructions for requesting to stay during campus breaks. Arrangements must be made through the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Students should make themselves aware of hall closing and opening dates for travel planning purposes. Students placed at Collegiate Village may stay through all breaks, as the apartments do not close until end of the year check-out.
Am I required to get a meal plan, and what are the meal plan options? What are the meal hours?
- Every resident student is required to have a meal plan. The meal plans include a 10-meal/week, 14-meal/week, and 19-meal/week options. All residents of Canavan hall must have the 19-meal/week meal plan. More information regarding meal plans & meal hours can be found on the food service website at http://www.daemen.edu/studentlife/foodservice/.
Are alternative forms of transportation available on campus if I do not have a car?
- Yes; a shopping shuttle is available on the weekends and special week days, at no cost, to take students shopping or to run various errands. Also, Daemen College provides transportation for students who need medical attention, including doctors visits. Shuttle service is also provided for students residing at Collegiate Village or the Homewood Suites. There is not transportation to local bus stations, train stations or airports.
- Please check out our transportation website here!
What should I bring with me?
- See our helpful check list here!
I was placed in Collegiate Village and have questions. Who can I call?
- You can call either Daemen's Housing & Residence Life Office at 716-839-8200 or Collegiate Village at 716-833-3700. When calling Collegiate, please clarify you are living at Collegiate through Daemen College.
What do I need to know about living at Daemen?
- All resident students at Daemen College are required to have health insurance. Students must provide proof of personal health insurance plans or health insurance may be purchased through Daemen College.
- A small personal sized refrigerators (2 cubic ft) are permitted per person in Canavan. Larger personal refrigerators (up to 4 cu ft) may be approved if shared by all residents of the room. No micro-fridges or freezers allowed.
- All residence halls are heated. All apartments have central air, but Canavan Hall does not. A box fan is recommended for resident students in Canavan if it was a hot summer.
- Campus is wireless, but the residence halls do have Ethernet ports.
- Fish are the only pets permitted on campus. If any other pet or animal is found on campus, consequences includes housing probation or removal from campus housing.
- To assure the quality of our buildings, please make sure you fill out a room conditioning report upon arrival (found at mydaemen) and maintain the facilities.