To be a successful online learner, you will need access to a computer with the following:
- A processor of 2.4GHz or faster
- 4 GB of RAM
- A high-speed Internet connection (1.5 Mbps upload and download required; 4Mbps or better preferred)
Caution: The use of public access computers (for example, at restaurants) or employer-provided computers may result in slowness or errors (timeouts or access problems) when accessing course materials. Public access computers may not permit access to certain course materials or systems due to security limitations.
- Monitor and video card with 1024 x 768 or greater resolution
- Keyboard and mouse (or equivalent i/o device)
- Speakers/Headphones and a Microphone
Noise canceling headphones typically preferred
- A web camera capable of video web conferencing
- Microsoft Window 10 or newer
- Apple macOS 10.12 or newer
- Google Chrome, latest version, is recommended.
- Microsoft Office is available for all Daemen students via Office365.
- Adobe Reader, latest version, is recommended.
- Antivirus software, updated regularly, is strongly recommended.
- Local administrative privileges on the computer may be required to allow for software installation and to configure computer settings.
- Content filters may need to be disabled in order to view certain types of academic-related content.
Basic Computer Proficiency Requirements
At a minimum, students should have basic computer literacy skills including:
- Using a keyboard and mouse
- Selecting, copying, pasting text
- Sending and receiving email
- Saving and retrieving files in different formats (.docx, .pdf, .pptx., etc.)
- Using a text editor (changing fonts, inserting links, using spell check, etc.)
- Browsing for files to attach and upload
- Accessing the Internet using a web browser and resetting basic web browser settings (clearing cache/history, cookies, etc.)
Browser check provided by Daemen’s Learning Management System, Blackboard.
Need help assessing your computer? Please contact SMART Squad at 716-566-7865 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.