In light of the unique challenges our students are experiencing this semester in regard to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Daemen College is providing an alternative SC/UC grading policy for the Fall 2020 semester.  Please read the official policy.  In order for students to have time to decide if they want to elect in this policy, the deadline for Authorized Withdrawal has been extended to Friday, November 13, 2020.

To help better understand the policy here are some highlights:

What is the policy?

  • Any UNDERGRADUATE student can select this alternative option for any CORE or FREE ELECTIVE class that they are enrolled during the Fall 2020 semester.
  • If a student earns anywhere from an A through D in a particular course and they choose this option, they will see an SC (Satisfactory COVID-19) on their transcript.  This type of grade will NOT be included in their GPA but the credits will count towards overall degree completion.
  • If a student has earned lower than a D, and they choose this option, UC (Unsatisfactory COVID-19) will appear on their transcript.  This type of grade will NOT be included in the GPA AND no credit will be awarded for the course.

Is this option available for all courses?

  • This option is available for  CORE or FREE ELECTIVE course.
  • This grading option is NOT an option for any courses required in a student’s major or minor UNLESS allowed by the appropriate Program/Department Chair. If Departments will be making any exceptions within their program requirements, this information will be shared with students by the end of Wednesday, November 11, 2020.

Do I have to make a decision now?

  • You do NOT have to choose this scale right now.  You have from Monday, November 16, 2020 until Friday, November 20, 2020.   If you do, you would fill out a form from the Registrar’s Office (Communication on this process will be forthcoming) and get approval from your faculty advisor to ensure that you understand the implications.

Are there a limit to the number of courses for which I select this option?

  • There is no limit to how many courses you elect for this option during the Fall 2020 semester, as long as they fit the criteria.

What if a year from now I realize I made a mistake in choosing this option?

  • The policy has been structured in such a way that at any time, a student could request that their original grade is “recovered”, meaning they can formally request for the SC to be changed to a letter grade.

Why might I want to “recover” a grade?

  • A student might want to recover a grade if they are changing their major or applying to graduate school and need to show proficiency level in a course.

How do I know if this is the right decision for me?

  • There are a lot of factors that go into this decision and that is why approval from your department (re: faculty advisor)  is required before making the change.  However, students are also encouraged to speak with academic advisors in the Student Success Center (716-839-8228 M-F 8:30am-4:30pm EST).