The History & Political Science major is a unique, interdisciplinary degree program that combines coursework in History and Political Science. In addition to the degree in History & Political Science, we also offer Adolescent Education in Social Studies as well as an Environmental Studies Specialization for students pursuing a career in the area of environmental policy.
- Our required courses give you broad exposure to U.S. and World History, as well as training in American, comparative, and international areas of political science. Elective courses provide the opportunity to develop special areas of interest for additional career options.
- A capstone thesis requirement gives you the opportunity to do in-depth research on a topic of your choice, applying the knowledge and skills you have acquired from your coursework.
- Students choosing the Adolescent Education in Social Studies specialization for teaching enjoy a close working relationship with our Education Department.
- Pre-law studies offers a structured bundling of courses in preparation for law school.
- A variety of opportunities are available from local and state organizations, with internships in American locations from Buffalo to Washington, D.C., as well as internationally.
- Students are also strongly encouraged to study abroad in an area of interest. The department will work with you and the Global Programs Office to explore opportunities abroad.
- Experiential learning opportunities connect classroom knowledge to the real world. These include Moot Court, Model U.N., internships, career field experiences, public history, and international study abroad.
- View Printable History & Political Science Information Sheet
Adolescent Education in Social Studies
The History & Political Science Adolescent Education in Social Studies major is designed for students who plan to become high school teachers. This major combines foundational and advanced courses in History, Political Science, and Education. Daemen College is currently pursuing accreditation of its educator preparation programs by the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP). Pursuant to §52.21 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, the educator preparation programs offered by Daemen College are considered to be continuously accredited for purposes of meeting the New York State requirement that all such programs maintain continuous accreditation.
About Our Program
Environmental Studies Specialization
The History & Political Science Environmental Studies Specialization major combines foundational and advanced coursework in History, Political Science, and the Natural Sciences. This major prepares you for a career in the field of environmental policy.
View the Suggested Course Sequence
Our graduates are working in:
- Education (teaching and administration)
- Library and archival science
- Historical societies
- Historic preservation
- Law enforcement
- Government and community agencies
History & Political Science Blog
The History & Political Science Department Blog provides the very latest on what Daemen students, faculty, and staff are up to. Read More
The PLSA is a club for prospective law school applicants and students who are interested in law and legal careers. Membership is open to students from all majors. Read More
American Association of University Women
Focused on empowering women, the AAUW is a national women's advocacy organization. Learn More