In addition to providing a solid grounding in both disciplines, the major offers you the flexibility to focus your coursework in either History or Political Science. In addition to the degree in History & Political Science, we also offer the History & Political Science: Environmental Studies Specialization for students pursuing a career in the area of environmental policy
Course requirements emphasize the development of skills in demand in the workplace and graduate studies. Students will learn to analyze complex material and support their arguments. They will also develop strong research, writing, and presentation skills.
The History & Political Science major is ideal for students who love both history and political science, since the major includes introductory classes that provide a solid foundational base of knowledge from both disciplines. As you progress through the major, you can tailor your elective coursework to pursue a deeper interest in either History or Political Science.
About Our Program
Adolescence Education in Social Studies
The History & Political Science Adolescence Education in Social Studies major is designed for students who plan to become high school teachers. This major combines foundational and advanced courses in History, Political Science, and Education.
Daemen’s Education programs are nationally accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC)/Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) from May 3, 2013-May 3, 2020.
Environmental Studies Specialization
The History & Political Science Environmental Studies Specialization major combines foundational and advanced coursework in History, Political Science, and the Natural Sciences. This major prepares you for a career in the field of environmental policy.
View the Suggested Course Sequence
- Our required courses give you broad exposure to U.S. and World History, as well as training in American, comparative, and international areas of political science. Elective courses provide the opportunity to develop special areas of interest for additional career options.
- A capstone thesis requirement gives you the opportunity to do in-depth research on a topic of your choice, applying the knowledge and skills you have acquired from your coursework.
- Students choosing the Adolescent Education in Social Studies specialization for teaching enjoy a close working relationship with our Education Department.
- A variety of opportunities are available from local and state organizations, with internships in American locations from Buffalo to Washington, D.C., as well as internationally.
- Students are also strongly encouraged to study abroad in an area of interest. The department will work with you and the Global Programs Office to explore opportunities abroad.
- Experiential learning opportunities connect classroom knowledge to the real world. These include Moot Court, Model U.N., internships, career field experiences, public history, and international study abroad.
- Faculty members provide student advisement for law school applications, graduate studies, internships, and co-curricular activities.
Our graduates are working in:
- Education (teaching and administration)
- Library and archival science
- Historical societies
- Historic preservation
- Law enforcement
- Government and community agencies
History & Political Science Blog
The History & Political Science Department Blog provides the very latest on what Daemen students, faculty, and staff are up to. Read More
The PLSA is a club for prospective law school applicants and students who are interested in law and legal careers. Membership is open to students from all majors. Read More
American Association of University Women
Focused on empowering women, the AAUW is a national women's advocacy organization. Learn More