The BFA in Illustration focuses on developing drawing skills and their application in a professional environment including editorial and children's book illustration, website development, and character design for animation.
The program's focus on exploration and process prepares students to develop a portfolio to successfully acquire freelance illustration work or a full-time position in the publishing or digital communications industry.
The BFA in Illustration at Daemen College combines the creative process of a fine artist with the problem-solving techniques and communication skills of a commercial designer. Students are taught to brainstorm solutions, generate new ideas, and explore the materials and techniques best suited to present an idea. By graduation, the Illustration student will have experience in editorial, sequential, computer, packaging and storyboard illustration.
- Demonstrate a high level of accomplishment with materials related to the graphic arts.
- Visually present a narrative voice through individual compositions or series.
- Work within a variety of media to explore editorial or sequential imagery.
- Develop an editorial voice to support campaigns, storylines, or public initiatives.
- Illustration studio courses are supported by substantive drawing instruction, as well as fundamental graphic design concepts.
- View Illustration Information Sheet
The Illustration faculty work in a variety of professional situations by providing illustrations to magazines, poster campaigns, and websites. Each maintains a freelance career while simultaneously working with students at Daemen in the development of projects and exhibits.