Students who are undocumented or have DACA status face unique and extenuating circumstances when applying, attending, and matriculating from college. As a campus dedicated to protecting its students and providing a safe and welcoming space for all, the CDI has compiled this webpage as a starting point for students considering Daemen for their college experience. We also hope that this page can offer parents, faculty, and staff more education on the issues that students of undocumented/DACA status face when attempting to attend/finance college.
We affirm the presence of undocumented and DACA students on our campus and in our community, and actively work with campus partners to ensure that these students are not just safe but welcome at all times.
Undocumented or DACA students are able to apply to Daemen as any other student, and admissions advisors treat them as such. Generally speaking the immigration/documentation status of a student is only disclosed if it becomes a barrier to accessing admission or financial aid. Admissions works under strict FERPA laws which ensures student privacy, which includes the documentation status of all students. They only offer information on a need-to-know basis and are not in the line of offering information on any student, documented or not.
Most scholarship applications ask for social security number, but some do not. These are the best bet for financing a higher education when undocumented, since the FAFSA is not an option. The resources below can help find some of these scholarships as well as general financial topics:
- FAQs about filling out FAFSA
- Information about the NYS DREAM Act, which gives all undocumented/DACA students access to state-administered grants and scholarships
- MALDEF Scholarship Resource Guide 2021-22
- Check back on this one regularly, is updated on a rolling basis!
- Immigrants Rising Scholarship Search
- Search feature for the education-based organization Immigrants Rising, allows one to search for specific resources or needs
- Golden Door Scholars
- One of the largest scholarships specific to undocumented students
- Buffalo Mutual Aid Resources
- Buffalo mutual aid and crowdfunding, good for meeting needs if you're already at Daemen
- Compiled list of scholarships available to undocumented students
- Legal assistance (willing out paperwork, applying for documentation, etc)
- PPSFL Resources for Immigrant and Undocumented Persons Referral List
- Informed Immigrant's Resources for Undocumented College Students
- Information about campus safety, mental health, and advocacy in college