The Dean is charged with establishing strategic priorities for the School of Arts, Sciences and Education and advancing the liberal arts mission of Daemen College. With both undergraduate and graduate programs, and distance and face-to-face offerings, the School of Arts Sciences and Education is home to eleven academic departments. Along with programs in the fine arts, humanities, natural sciences, education and psychology, faculty in the School deliver the majority of the new general education curriculum. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean will work closely with the other academic deans, leaders from across functional areas, and faculty from diverse disciplines. The Dean is responsible for the School’s overall academic program quality, assessment of curriculum and instruction, fostering faculty research and scholarship, budgeting and fiscal management, fundraising, new program development and enrollment.
The responsibilities of the Dean include the following:
- Establish and launch the school mission, vision and identity
- Oversee curriculum and evaluate department, program and faculty performance
- Direct and oversee School operations including budget planning, management and analysis, and faculty load and contracts
- Advocate for programs in the School in alignment with the institution’s mission and strategic plan
- Advance Teaching Excellence in all modalities
- Monitor student retention and outcome data and collaborate with relevant offices to support student success
- Promote diversity, equity and inclusion efforts including faculty hiring, student success, and leadership development
- Provide professional development opportunities and mentoring for chairs, directors and administrative personnel
- Promote enrollment growth through new program development
- Collaborate with Enrollment Management, Institutional Advancement and department chairs on student recruitment, admissions, and program marketing strategies
- Develop a culture of fundraising and represent the school to external constituencies including alumni, corporate and community partners
- Support faculty research, scholarship and grant writing
- Support accreditation, institutional assessment and academic program review
- Work with the deans of the other schools to advance Academic Affairs priorities
- Lead projects or initiatives at the request of the Sr Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Exceptional communicator, listener and diplomatic leader who can work in a collegial manner with faculty with faculty, staff, and other campus and community constituents
- Earned doctorate or appropriate terminal degree in a discipline represented in or related to the School of Arts, Sciences & Education
- A record of successful administrative leadership at the dean, chair or program director level, including budget and personnel experience; or other related experience that demonstrates administrative skill sets
- Demonstrated commitment to the liberal arts and sciences mission of Daemen College, and the ability to advocate for the programs within in the School of Arts, Sciences and Education
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and to the spirit of shared governance; demonstrated experience working with other deans, administrators, and diverse stakeholders to establish and achieve goals and support institutional strategic direction
- A record of advancing teaching & learning and innovation in both traditional and distance education programs
- Experience mentoring/promoting faculty research and scholarship and advocating for associated resources and support
- A data informed planner with experience in assessment and outcomes measurements.
- Demonstrated skills in fundraising, including the ability to articulate the college mission to external communities, alumni and potential donors.
- Experience working with external agencies, such as foundations, local businesses, and governmental agencies
- Familiarity with professionally accredited academic programs
- Experience in strategic plan development and implementation.
- Proficient with academic policy and procedure development
- Knowledge of key principles of enrollment management, best practices in academic budget modeling, technology, and academic program sustainability
This is a full-time, salary, exempt, 12 month. Position is administration/salary and includes full College benefits and professional development opportunities.
Benefits are available the first of the month following the full-time employee's date of hire and include health, dental, vision insurance, and fully paid life insurance. In addition, we offer fully paid long term disability insurance after 3 months of employment. Eligibility for the 403b retirement plan is available to full-time employees upon hire and an 8% employer match after one year of service. Tuition waiver benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Standard Background Check Required.
General Physical Requirements:
Light Work: Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; desk job with majority of sedentary work sitting roughly 50% or greater of the workday.
Climate controlled office setting, but some activities/ duties can occur both inside and outside the office setting.
Various trainings assigned upon hire and annually thereafter by the Office of Employee Engagement.
For consideration please submit resume, letter of interest, and contact information for three professional references in the attachments section of your application at http://daemen.applicantpro.com. Incomplete packages will not be considered.
Daemen College is an AA/EOE and strongly encourages applications from women, veterans, people of color, individuals with disabilities and candidates who will contribute to and support the cultural fluency and diversity of our campus. Apply directly at https://daemen.applicantpro.com/jobs/
In order to be eligible to work at Daemen College, all employees are required to receive a completed course of one of the FDA approved COVID-19 vaccinations (Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson) or receive an exemption for a diagnosed medical or deeply held religious belief (which must go through an approval process). Employees not in compliance with this policy will not be eligible to work at Daemen.