Summary of Employee Benefits
Daemen University proudly offers a comprehensive employee benefits package including medical, dental, vision and voluntary life insurances; retirement plan; tuition benefits; disability and group travel accident insurances; vacation, sick and personal time. Please refer to the following summary for a description of benefits.
Please review the following benefits regarding the 2023 - 2024 plan year, which is effective starting June 1, 2023:
- Benefits Guide 2023 - 2024- WNY
- A detailed overview for employees of all benefit options for this plan year
- 2023-2024 Daemen University Summary of Employee Benefits - WNY
- This summary provides a brief overview and the cost per pay period (over 24 pays) of the Health, Dental, and Vision benefits)
- 2023 - 2024 Daemen University Summary of Employee Benefits - BROOKLYN
- Employee Benefits - Contacts (Vendor member services numbers and websites)
- For a walkthrough of benefits, watch this video.
- To enroll in your benefits during new hire or life event enrollment, follow this tutorial.
Secure Form Portal- Upload
During the regular benefit year, please use this form portal to safely and securely upload any benefit, new hire, banking, etc. documents you need to submit to the Employee Engagement Office: Secure Form Portal
Once you upload via the portal, please email the firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the form has been submitted.
Service line is 800-499-1275
Univera offers two plans:
- Univera Signature CoPay1 plan
- Univera Signature Deductible 3
- Univera PPO Signature Copay 1 Summary
- Univera PPO Signature Deductible 3 Summary
- Univera Plan Details
- Univera Member Guidebook
- Pharmacy Formulary
- The Drug List that should be used is – 3-Tier Formulary https://provider.univerahealthcare.com/policies/prescriptions/formularies
- Prescription Drug Coverage Flyer
- Univera Health Insurance Enrollment Form (Fillable PDF)
- Know Where to Get Care
- Do I Really Need a Primary Care Provider?
How to find Doctors & Facilities:
- Click on the Start Search under the I’m a Guest section.
- Once on the next page, in the upper right corner click on the ALL PLANs button.
- Click on Find a different plan
- Click on Univera PPO/PPO HSA and Signature PPO
Domestic Partnership Requirements:
Prescription Discount Card - Inside Rx
Tools & Resources:
- How to Register for a Univera Account Online
- Univera Mobile App
- WellFrame Mobile App
- Online Resources
- Making the Most of Your Health Plan Webinars
- Map – WNY Network Access
- List of participating counties:
- EXCELLUS: Monroe; Wayne; Livingston; Seneca; Yates; Ontario; Steuben; Schuyler; Chemung; Tioga; Tompkins; Cortland; Broome; Cayuga; Onondaga; Oswego; Chenango; Madison; Delaware; Otsego; Herkimer; Montgomery; Fulton; Oneida; Lewis; Hamilton; Essex; Clinton; Franklin; St. Lawrence; and Jefferson.
- UNIVERA: Allegany; Cattaraugus; Chautauqua; Erie; Genesee; Niagara; Orleans; Wyoming.
- List of participating counties:
Mail Order Prescriptions:
Nationwide Network Benefits:
Are you or a dependent going to be out of the WNY area for school or travel? Univera Can Help You Find The Provider Of Your Choice Call 1 (800) 678-7427 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) and identify yourself as a Univera Healthcare member accessing the PHCS Healthy Directions and MultiPlan Networks.
You may also contact Patricia Brooker directly at email@example.com.
Health insurers are no longer required to mail Form 1095-B to their members. If you do want a copy of your Form 1095-B for your records, however, Univera Healthcare is providing four different methods for you to do so:
- Download or Print a Form 1095-B (Recommended)
- Request a Form 1095-B by Email
- Request a Form 1095-B by mail
- Call 1-877-889-7182 to obtain a Form 1095-B
For more information on the different methods to retrieve your 1095-B form visit: https://www.univerahealthcare.com/form-1095-b
Guardian Website: https://www.guardianlife.com/
Customer Service: 1-888-482-7342
Plan #00324707 PPO
- Guardian Enrollment Form
- Dental Benefits Description
- Guardian Temporary ID Card
- Find a Dental Provider
- Go to: https://www.guardiananytime.com/fpapp/search
- Plan type: PPO DentalGuard Preferred
- Enter the desired Zip Code, City or State and desired radius - All participating Dentist's in your area will appear.
The University offers vision care insurance through VSP or Davis Vision which is administered by Guardian Life Insurance. This is an optional insurance program to which the University does not make contributions, but it is offered at a group-rate discount on premiums. There will be no increase in the cost of premiums in 2020.
Customer Service: (800) 541-7846
- Guardian Vision Enrollment Form (Fillable PDF)
- On page 2 of the Guardian Vision form, Option 1 is VSP and Option 2 is Davis.
- Guardian does not administer cards, these flyers can be used in place of a card. Plan ID is the subscriber's SSN.
- VSP and Davis Comparison - PP Slide
- VSP and Davis Vision Side by Side
- Comparing VSP Choice with Davis Vision Designer
- Guardian Vision Benefits Summary
- The difference in the vision plans is really in the network of providers. You can do a search of both networks and see which one your provider is in. VSP is more of the independent vision providers and Davis more of the “big box” stores. The website is www.guardiananytime.com
The University offers life insurance which is administered by Guardian Life Insurance.
Guardian Website: https://www.guardianlife.com/
Daemen Funded Guaridan Life Insurance and AD&D:
- All full time employees working at least 30 hours per week are covered by a $50,000 Life Insurance Policy and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance through Guardian. This benefit is fully paid for by Daemen.
Voluntary/Supplemental Life Insurance Elections & Guaranteed Issue Limitations before EOI Form:
- Employee pays 100% of the cost for this benefit with a biweekly payroll deduction based on age and coverage amount chosen. This plan is administered through Guardian.
- The Guaranteed Issue amount for new voluntary life insurance is $150,000 for employee only and newly elected spouse/child(ren) coverage is $10,000. Any amount chosen over this will require you to complete an Evidence of Insurability form, which must be reviewed and approved by Guardian before you are accepted for that insurance amount over the guaranteed issue amount.
- Any coverage elected for self or spouse during Open Enrollment requires an Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form to be completed and is subject to review through underwriting.
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
LakeShore Savings HSA
Customer Service- Snyder branch phone number (716)898-2101
- HSA-Health Savings Account Informational Webinar 2021(PPT)
- HSA-Health Savings Account Informational Webinar 2021(PDF)
- Recorded Zoom 4/26/21 - HSA- Health Savings Account (mp4)
Our HSA provider is Lakeshore Savings Bank. All new participants in the Univera Signature Deductible 3 Plan are required to complete an application to open a new account for Health Savings in order to receive the quarterly employer contribution ($375/$750) in June, September, December and March.
All employees newly enrolled in the Signature Deductible 3 plan are REQUIRED to open a new HSA account with with Lakeshore Savings to receive the employer contribution ($1500/$3000 per plan year):
The following forms must be completed in full to create and open an HSA account with Lakeshore (for new enrollees).
- HSA Customer Verification Form (Fillable PDF)
- W-9 Form (TIN Certification for HSA) (Fillable PDF)
- ATM - Debit Card Request (HSA) (Fillable PDF)
- State's Driver's License or US Passport
- In order to open an account at Lake Shore Savings for the HSA and comply with the USA Patriot Act, employees will need to provide a copy of their state’s driver’s license or US passport. This is standard practice for all banks. Employees will need to provide a copy of their spouse’s driver’s license if planning of having a spouse as an authorized user/signer.
Sign up for Online Banking!
- Direct Link: https://web1.secureinternetbank.com/PBI_PBI1151/login/222371656
- Please select 'Checking' Account when signing up.
- You will need your account number in order to sign up. Please call Lakeshore Savings Customer service number at 716-898-2101 for assistance in obtaining this information.
If I choose to have additional HSA funds taken out as payroll deductions (pre-taxed), what do I need to complete?
- You will make those elections directly in ADP during open enrollment or a life event. The HSA will now be a part of the digital benefit election process.
If I choose to transfer my previous HSA account balance at Health Equity (prior to 2020) to my newest account with Lakeshore Savings, what do I need to do?
You must complete an HSA Transfer Request form:
- HSA Transfer Request Form (Fillable PDF)
- This form will ask for the Health Equity Address and their account number.
- The Health Equity address is: Health Equity 15 W Scenic Pointe Dr. Ste 100 Draper, UT 84020
- Your HSA account number can be found on your Health Equity portal next to your name.
- If employees choose to transfer their account balance to Lakeshore (Health Equity Account Closure Form), they should request a check made out to - Lake Shore Savings Bank as the custodian for "Name".
- This form will ask for the Health Equity Address and their account number.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Pro-Flex Administrators LLC
Customer service- local number is 716-633-2073. ProFlex Fax # 716-929-2013
The FSA provider will be ProFlex. If you are enrolling in the Univera Signature Copay 1 Plan and want to participate in a Flexible Spending Account, you will be required to complete a ProFlex enrollment application.
DOCUMENTS & FORMS:
Employee Assistance Program
EAP administered through Guardian:
Guardian’s Employee Assistance Program gives you and your family members access to confidential personal support, across everything from stress management and nutrition to handling legal or financial issues. The services available include consultations with experienced professionals, as well as access to resources and discounts designed to help you in a variety of different ways.
How to access: To access the WorkLifeMatters Employee Assistance Program, you’ll need a few personal details.
Access Code: worklife
All benefit eligible employees may participate in the Retirement Plan the first of the month following their date of hire. After one year of service, the college contributes 8% for all employees that contribute 5% on a pre-tax basis. Employees may join the plan immediately after hire with match if they have completed one year of full time service at another college or university in the twelve months prior to hire. The Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association (TIAA) administers this plan. * Twelve months of full-time service in higher education immediately prior to employment at Daemen will be counted towards the waiting period, as long as a letter from the previous college’s or university’s HR department is provided upon hire.
Local Branch Office: (716) 862-5910
General Inquiries: (800) 842-2733
Rates of Return, Allocation Changes, CREF transfers: (800) 842-2252
DOCUMENTS & FORMS:
- Retirement Contribution Enrollment/Salary Reduction Form 2023 (Fillable PDF)
- TIAA Online Enrollment Instructions
- Summary Plan Description- Retirement
- HEART Summary Material Modifications
- Roth Contribution Option
- TIAA Security Authentication
- Summary Material Modification - Hardship Amendment
- Your Online Security Is Priority
- CARES Act
SAVI Student Loan Assistance
As an employee of Daemen University, you and your family members have access to a financial wellness benefit brought to you by TIAA and provided by Savi that helps you navigate the complexities of the Public Student Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program.
Savi provides a free assessment to help you find the best repayment plans to reduce your monthly payments and search more than 150 state and federal forgiveness programs based on your financial situation. For an annual fee of $60, you can enroll in Savi’s Essential service. Since PSLF's inception, 2.1% of processed applications have been approved. Savi claims that essential users have a 99% success rate with their PSLF applications.
The Savi Essential program will administer the ongoing paperwork requirements, including annual re-enrollment, employer certifications, and filing for PSLF credits on your behalf.
To go ahead and get started, visit TIAA.org/daemen/student
For more resources, please see:
STAFF VACATION ACCRUAL
Daemen College provides full time employees with paid vacation time. Hours begin accruing with the first full two-week pay period and the employee may begin taking accrued time after three months of employment. Employees may accrue up to thirty days of vacation.
Full time hourly employees accrue two weeks vacation per year. Hourly vacation accrual increases to three weeks per year after five years of service and four weeks per year after ten years of service.
Full time salaried employees accrue four weeks vacation per year.
Days Off Work (Holidays):
Daemen University Administrative Offices closed; no classes
- Monday, 1/15/2024 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Monday, 2/19/2024 President's Day
- Friday, 3/29/2024 and Monday, 4/01/2024 Spring Holiday
- Monday, 5/29/2024 Memorial Day
- Wednesday, 6/19/2024 Juneteenth Day
- Thursday, 7/4/2024 Independence Day (4th of July)
- Monday, 9/2/2024 Labor Day
- Monday, 10/14/2024 Indigenous People's Day
- Wednesday, 11/27/2024 (offices close at noon) Thanksgiving
- Thursday, 11/28/2024 & Friday,11/29/2024 Thanksgiving
- Tuesday, 12/24/2024 (Christmas Eve) & Wednesday, 12/25/2024 (Christmas Day)
- Wednesday, 1/1/2025 New Year's Day
There may be times when it becomes more advantageous for both the University and the employee to have the day AFTER Christmas and New Year’s off instead of the day before. In addition, the University may occasionally change the Holiday Schedule as circumstances require. When this occurs, you will be informed accordingly. The University typically closes during the week between Christmas and New Year’s. This will be announced during the Fall of each year. If the University closes, full time employees are excused from work with pay, with the exception of some essential staff.
Daemen Tuition Waiver Program
Full time employees are eligible for 100% tuition waiver for undergraduate classes at Daemen University the semester after hire. This benefit is also available to the employee's spouse/same sex domestic partner and dependent children.
100% tuition waiver for graduate level courses at Daemen University are available to full time employees and their spouse/same sex domestic partner. Dependent children of the employee are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver.
- Daemen Tuition Benefits Explanation - How to Apply
- Application for Daemen University Tuition Waiver
- Employee Job-Related Verification Form (Graduate Programs)
You must apply by the deadline below. You are able to put in multiple applications at once for future semesters, but exceptions cannot be made for applications past semester deadlines.
Fall Semester: Apply by July 1st
Intercession: Apply by December 1st
Spring Semester: Apply by December 1st
Summer Session 1, 3: Apply by the 3rd Friday in May
Summer session 2: Apply by the 3rd Friday in June
Tuition Exchange Scholarship Program (TE)
Tuition Exchange (TE) is a reciprocal scholarship opportunity for dependent children of full time employees after five years of service. Tuition Exchange is not an employee benefit nor is it a guaranteed scholarship opportunity. There are over 500 colleges and universities nationwide participating in the Tuition Exchange Program and scholarships are competitive.
- Application for Tuition Exchange
- Tuition Exchange Export Policy
- Tuition Exchange Participating Institutions
- Tuition Exchange, New Opportunities For Your Family - Brochure
- Tuition Exchange Information - Webinar
If you have questions, contact the Tuition Exchange headquarters at (301)-947-1827, or visit their website: https://telo.tuitionexchange.
CIC Tuition Exchange
The Council of Independent Colleges Tuition Exchange Program (CIC-TEP) is available to eligible full time employees and their dependents as defined by IRS regulations to apply for tuition benefits at a CIC participating school. CIC participating schools include over 400 schools nationwide. Charges covered by tuition remission are determined by the host institution, but generally cover full tuition. This program is available the semester after hire. Click on the link below for more information on how to apply:
- CIC Tuition Exchange Program Application Form
- CIC-TEP Scholarship Export Policy
- CIC Tuition Exchange Program Participating Institutions
For more information, visit the CIC Website: https://www.cic.edu/member-
If you have questions, contact the CIC director of membership services, at (202)-466-7230 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The federal Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) gives workers who work for employers with 20 or more employees and their families the right to continue to purchase group health insurance for limited periods of time when they would otherwise lose coverage due to certain events. Qualifying events include voluntary or involuntary job loss, reduction in hours, transition between jobs, death, divorce and other life events.
Qualified individuals may be required to pay up to 102% of the premium cost. The length of time that a person may have federal COBRA coverage depends on why the person is losing coverage and can be from 18 to 36 months.
Please click on the document below for more information on who qualifies, what is a qualifying event, and how long does COBRA last.
- Federal and State Mini COBRA Chart
- Continuation of Health Insurance Coverage
- COBRA Information
- COBRA FAQs
*Please note: You are only eligible elect continuation for current Benefit elections. New elections cannot be made with COBRA continuation.
Dental & Vision Insurance
Click on the links below for more information:
Turning 65, What You Need To Know - Video Resource
Medicare in 2021 Resource - Brochure
Medicare Insurance Information - Powerpoint Presentation by Lawley Insurance Brokers
Virtual Medicare Minute - Powerpoint Presentation Presented by the Medicare Rights Center
Medicare is the federal health insurance program for:
- People who are 65 or older
- Certain younger people with disabilities
- People with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD)
The different parts of Medicare help cover specific services:
- Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance)
- Part A covers inpatient hospital stays, care in a skilled nursing facility, hospice care, and some home health care.
- Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance)
- Part B covers certain doctors' services, outpatient care, medical supplies, and preventive services.
- Medicare Part D (prescription drug coverage)
- Helps cover the cost of prescription drugs (including many recommended shots or vaccines).
Medicare Questions: contact April Romanowski, Benefits Consultant Individual and Senior Health with Lawley. (716)-572-6397 or email@example.com
Social Security benefits are provided to all employees of the College. The cost of these benefits is paid equally by the College and the employee. The employee’s share is deducted through a payroll deduction, with a matching share contributed by the College, as required by law. In brief, the Social Security Act provides benefits in the following five areas:
• Lump sum at death;
• Survivor payments;
• Disability income;
• Retirement income; and
• Medicare coverage.
For information concerning the benefits available under the Social Security Act, contact the local Social Security Office.
Social Security Administration
General: (800) 772-1213
TTY: (800) 325-0778
186 Exchange Street
Buffalo, NY 14204
1900 Ridge Road
West Seneca, NY 14224
RETIREE HEALTH INSURANCE *
Plan Description Monthly Cost Rates Valid January - December
Senior Blue 699 (HMO) Plan 28 $402.00
Senior Blue 699 (HMO) Plan 4 $485.00
*This benefit is available to employees who retire with 15 years of consecutive service. Single coverage is available only. You can cover a spouse by enrolling them in a single policy. You will be billed for (2) single policies when covering a spouse. BCBS Invoices for Senior Blue Plan are billed directly from BCBS to you.
Business Travel Accident Insurance (H3)
CHUBB Business Travel Insurance: https://www.chubb.com/us-en/individuals-families/products/travel.html
U.S or Canada Locations: 1 (800) 243-6124
International Locations: +1 (202) 659-7803
Identity Theft Protection: 1(866) 299-7277
DOCUMENTS & FORMS:
Amherst Federal Credit Union
Whether it’s a lifelong dream or a weekend getaway, Amherst Federal Credit Union offers a variety of great savings options to help you get there. Our deposit accounts let you earn competitive interest rates while keeping your money totally liquid so you can get to it when you need it. The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) federally insures our credit union and each member’s deposits are backed by the full faith and credit of the United States Government to $250,000.
Become a Member
Become a member (and owner) by completing a brief membership form at the Amherst FCU office, 6470 Main Street, Suite 5, Amherst NY 14221. All you need is your photo ID & $6.00! Be sure to bring your most recent pay stubs to accompany your loan application.
An AFCU ATM is conveniently available at Daemen University in the Lobby of the Campus Athletics center near Lumsden Gym.
Lakeshore Savings Bank
4950 Main St, Snyder, NY 14226
Customer Service: 716-898-2101
At Lake Shore Savings, we pride ourselves on putting people first. Our focus will always remain on you and your personal financial goals. We’ve been serving the Western New York community for more than 127 years and look forward to working with you.
Become a Member
- Checking Account information and benefits - PDF
- Card Valet Mobile App - PDF
- Card Valet Mobile App Information - Trifold PDF
A Lakeshore Savings ATM is conveniently available at Daemen University in the AWC.
Athletic Facility Use
- Use of the University's Fitness Center, located in the Academic & Wellness Center, is open to employees for a discounted membership fee.
- Memberships are available for purchase online at https://daemenawcmemberships.totalcamps.com/.
- More information about Fitness Center facilities, hours and membership, please visit the Athletics department website: http://daemenwildcats.com/sports/2015/9/21/GEN_0921155459.aspx.
- Daily current newspapers are available in the café eating area at the entrance to the Research & Information Commons.
- The Library / RIC is a contemporary academic library offering the books, journals and media for teaching and learning at Daemen, but also for the information needs of staff. This includes a rotating collection of best-selling fiction accessed within the RIC, online access to the Buffalo News and The Chronicle of Higher Education found at https://libguides.daemen.
edu/newspapers and digital archives that include student newspapers, alumni publications and yearbooks found at https://digitalcommons. daemen.edu/archives/. Your Daemen ID card is your library card, no additional registration is required.
- Employees have access to all library resources including electronic and print books, periodicals and databases – which are available from the Library website: https://libguides.daemen.edu/home.
- Employees may borrow other library materials including Recreational Reading books at the Circulation Desk which is located in the Research & Information Commons. All materials are due at the end of the current academic semester, but we appreciate books returned as soon as possible. There are no late fees.
- Interlibrary loan is available to all employees. Submit requests on the Library website using the link titled “Interlibrary Loan.”
- Employees may borrow materials directly from almost any Western New York academic library via the AcademicShare program. Employees must show a valid Daemen College Employee ID Card at the institution from which they wish to borrow materials.
- The Bookstore, located on the ground floor of Duns Scotus Hall, is operated as a service to the entire University community.
- Merchandise for office use may be charged to your department upon approval of the department supervisor.
- An employee discount is given on select purchases made by employees upon presentation of your Daemen University Employee ID Card. More information about the Bookstore can be found on their website: https://daemen.bncollege.com/shop/daemen-college/home
Employee Sick Time Benefits
Employee Sick Time Information
Daemen provides paid sick time benefits to all employees according to their employment type. Please see tabs below for more details.
Full time salaried employees will receive paid sick leave in the case of an injury, illness, medical condition or any of the reasons covered by NYS Sick Leave listed above. Sick leave will be accrued at a rate of 3.5 hours per pay period to a maximum of 84 hours. Accrual starts on the employee’s date of hire and is awarded at the end of each pay period in which the employee works. Unused sick time will be rolled over to the next calendar year to a maximum of 84 hours. A maximum of 84 hours of sick time can be taken each year. Employees may take leave in quarter hour increments. Whenever possible, sick leave should be scheduled in advance with your supervisor.
Daemen provides full time hourly employees with paid sick/personal leave. Employees will accrue one hour of leave for every 30 hours worked to a maximum of 56 hours of paid leave each year. Accrual starts on an employee’s first day of employment and is awarded at the end of each pay period in which the employee works. Employees may carry over accrued, unused leave to the next calendar year to a maximum of 56 hours. A maximum of 56 hours can be taken each year. Full time employees may take leave in quarter hour increments. Sick/personal leave is paid at the employee’s regular rate of pay and does not count toward overtime. Whenever possible, sick/personal leave should be scheduled in advance with your supervisor. This leave time if used for personal reasons is not available to extend an employee’s vacation.
Daemen provides part time hourly employees with paid sick leave in accordance with the NYS Paid Sick Leave Law. Employees accrue one hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked to a maximum of 56 hours of paid sick leave each year. Accrual starts on an employee’s first day of employment and is awarded at the end of each pay period in which the employee works. Part time employees may take leave in quarter hour increments. Employees may carry over accrued, unused sick leave to the next calendar year to a maximum of 56 hours. Sick leave is paid at the employee’s regular rate of pay and does not count toward overtime.
Daemen provides other employee categories, such as student employees, adjunct faculty and athletic coaches with paid sick leave in accordance with the NYS Paid Sick Leave Law. These part time employees accrue 1.35 hours of sick leave every biweekly pay period to a maximum of 35 hours of paid sick leave each year. Accrual starts on an employee’s first day of employment and is awarded at the end of each pay period in which they work. Employees may take leave in one hour increments. Employees may carry over accrued, unused sick leave to the next calendar year to a maximum of 56 hours. This policy applies to student workers, athletic coaches and adjunct faculty.
Student workers may not use paid sick leave hours to add time over and above their regular scheduled work week. Paid sick leave cannot be used to increase hours in a work week over the allowable threshold in accordance with their financial aid award. Paid sick time does not count toward overtime.
Employee Leave of Absence Information (FMLA, NYS PFL, Disability)
Leave of Absence Information
The Request For Leave of Absence Form must be completed and returned to the Employee Engagement Office (DS 126) or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 30 days prior to the start of the leave if the need is foreseeable based on an expected birth, placement for adoption or foster care, planned medical treatment for a serious health condition of the employee or of a family member, or the planned medical treatment for a serious injury or illness of a covered servicemember.
FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act):
The FMLA allows eligible employees to take up to 12 work weeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period to care for a new child, care for a seriously ill family member, or recover from a serious illness. Each 12-month period is a “rolling” twelve (12) month period, which is measured backwards from the date an employee uses FMLA leave. In order to be eligible for FMLA leave, an employee must have worked for the employer for at least 12 months, have worked at least 1,250 hours over the past 12 months, and work for an employer with at least fifty employees. FMLA is to be taken concurrently with Short Term Disability, Paid Family Leave, etc.
Employees requesting FMLA leave must submit a completed Leave of Absence Form and Certification of Health Care Provider for the employee or family member as applicable to the Employee Engagement Office at least 30 days prior to the start of the leave if the need is foreseeable. When leave is not foreseeable, the employee must give notice as soon as practicable.
NYS PFL (Paid Family Leave Act):
The NYS Paid Family Leave Act allows employees who have worked 26 consecutive weeks as a full-time employee, or 175 days as a part-time employee over a 52 week period to be eligible for paid leave. This law covers new parents, family caregivers and military families with active duty deployment. Employees may be eligible to get paid time off for the following reasons:
- to bond with a newly-born, adopted or foster child;
- to care for a close relative with a serious health condition; or
- to assist when a family member is deployed abroad on active military service.
The law provides full job protection and continuation of health insurance coverage while you are on paid leave, however, you will be responsible for any premium payments you regularly make. Employees and employers are subject to a small payroll tax that funds this benefit, much like NYS Disability. You can take your Paid Family Leave all at one time or you can take it one day at a time, as needed. Employees who meet the above eligibility criteria are entitled to up to 12 weeks of leave at 67% of the employee's average weekly wage, up to 67% of the statewide average weekly wage.
- Daemen University NYSPFL Policy
- NYSPFL Employee Fact Sheet
- NYSPFL Employee Statement of Rights
- Paid Family Leave Application (Part 1)
- NYSPFL Parent-Child Bonding Application
- NYSPFL Care for Family Member Application
- NYSPFL Military Application
- NYSPFL Leave Time Tracking Sheet
Other PFL Qualifiers:
Disability (DBL) Coverage (Short & Long Term):
- Disability Claim Form - Guardian
- Statement of Rights - NYS Disability Benefits
- DBL and PFL Benefit Guide
NYS Short Term Disability
NYS disability benefits cover temporary and long term medical conditions that prevent you from working and earning an income. Disability benefits will pay up to 50% of your weekly income, but has a cap of $170 per week. Benefits begin on your eighth consecutive day out of work; the first 7 days is an unpaid waiting period. To supplement the income gap of the waiting week, hourly employees are able to use PTO and/or a combination of vacation time; salaried employees must use vacation time.
Through Daemen College, eligible employees are entitled to the benefit of 100% salary continuation during incapacitation within the 90 day guideline. Salary continuation is not to be granted until all necessary paperwork has been received by the Employee Engagement Department. Employees are eligible to maintain their benefits during their period of incapacitation during Short Term Disability.
Effective June 1st, 2022:
Daemen provides a Long Term Disability Benefit to all full time employees who work 30 hours or more per week. This Plan is administered by Lincoln Financial and provides a replacement salary of 2/3 for the length of disability or normal retirement age, whichever is less. There is a 90 day elimination period before this benefit begins.
Maternity Leave is a combination of Short Term Disability, Paid Family Leave and FMLA with the discretion of your Physician. Paternity Leave is a combination of Paid Family Leave and FMLA with the discretion of your child's physician. Please contact our Benefits Coordinator to schedule an appointment to talk about your Leave of Absence options.
Maternity Leave - Before Giving Birth:
Maternity Leave - Up to 1 Year after Birth:
- Paid Family Leave Application (Part 1)
- Paid Family Leave Parent-Child Bonding Application (Part 2)
- Leave Tracking Sheet
Note: You will need to fill out the LOA Request form and FMLA if
you are taking PFL without having taken prior disability for birth.
Paternity Leave - Up to 1 Year after Birth:
Time Off Benefits
Employee Time Off Request (Bereavement, Jury Duty, Vote)
Form to complete & submit to Employee Engagement: Employee Time Off Request
Death in Family: Full time employees are allowed time off with pay upon a death in the immediate family. In case of the death of father, mother, spouse, child, brother, sister, mother-in-law, or father-in-law, grandfather or grandmother, up to four days will be granted depending upon the circumstances of the case. Part-time, per diem and temporary employees are not eligible for this benefit.
Jury Duty: The University considers such duty an obligation and responsibility. Any Full Time or Limited Full Time
employee who is summoned for jury duty will be paid by the University for the duration of their jury duty
service. Employees must provide proper evidence as to jury service to the Employee Engagement
All other employees will receive jury service pay for the first three days of service as required by law.
Right to Vote: New York employers must provide employees with time off to vote in accordance with these state rules. If an employee does not have 4 consecutive hours at the beginning or end of their working shift when the polls open and close, they may take off up to 2 hours, without loss of pay, to allow them time to vote if they are a registered voter.
- Paid time off rules: Of the time taken off to vote, up to 2 hours may be taken without loss of pay. Time off to vote must be taken at the beginning or end of the person's work shift unless otherwise mutually agreed upon between the employee and employer.
- Advance notice requirements: An employee who needs time off to vote shall notify the employer no more than 10 or less than 2 working days before election day that time off is required.
- Amount of time off allowed: Of the time taken off to vote, up to 2 hours may be taken without loss of pay if you do not have 4 consecutive hours either from the opening of the polls to the beginning or your working shift, or between the end of your working shift and the closing of the polls.
- When time off not allowed: If an employee has 4 consecutive nonworking hours when the polls are open, the employee has sufficient time outside of work to vote.